Gubment Spending Rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
The net result would be an extended down turn.
I don't think you can make that statement unequivocally. It's complicated. Ripple effects and all that. Besides, the money rarely gets used for what it is actually intended once the crooks get their paws on it. They'll spend it on everything but. Many of the top economists predicted that the initial pain without bailouts would be severe, but the bounce-back would happen very quickly and result in a much stronger foundation moving forward. Contrast with bail them out and ease the initial pain, but the effects drag on for many years, maybe even decades, not to mention all the waste and corruption that goes along with that kind of money. I say keep the trillion dollars and don't give it to the banks. The banks hoarded it and did not all the sudden start lending again, anyway. And once they found out there were strings attached, many were more than happy to pay it back so they could once again call their own shots instead of having the government do so. So that begs the question if it was really needed to begin with? Did you read about the massive multi-million dollar parties the execs of AIG and many banks threw for themselves? Yeah, times are real hard for them, aren't they? How about the massive bonuses - Obama looked America in the eye and said he would guarantee that would not happen. It did.

Better yet, give it back to the people that ponied it up in the first place. It's really the people's money, not the government's. If they feel they need to give the people's money away, maybe give it back and cut taxes if they are raking in so much. I like what your government did. $900 bucks - but they didn't *give* that to you, you gave it to them, and they just returned some of it.

As far as roads and schools here, you would be appalled at how a lot of the stimulus money is being wasted paying for BS stuff that is not creating jobs or helping the economy. Bunch of crooks. It's like f*king Christmas for these tools we have over here, with someone else's credit card.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 08-12-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
EXAMPLE. Hilarys Marina had a substantial $$ upgrade completed in December 2008 that took close to 6 months to complete. In March 2009 they decided they would bring forward by years, new works for the marina and consequently dug up all the work they did over the past six months and started all over again.WTF. How much money can this government waste in the name of securing jobs and economy stimulus?
If you don't laugh at stupid sh*t like that, it makes you want to cry. How much can we put up with?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
hahaha i miss all the good threads. deej sucking up our tax dollars on KF vote him outta office...lol

Actually it pizzes me of that you would say that....wtf Hoe?

Now for deej, I promised him an apology, well basically because he deserved one big time.....I chumped him on the call out on this thread......he deserved better.

But that is done, except for the deej factor.

What ya want deep....your call???????????/

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 08-12-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

BTW, Neil, I respect your opinion and beliefs even if I don't agree with them. In theory, many of those proposals sounds fine on the surface. But just like happened in the great depression with the corruption and unintended side effects, I don't have any confidence that the money will be used for what it is actually intended. These things tend to do the opposite of what they intend. Cash for Clunkers is a perfect example.

Do you know how many FEMA trailers are still sitting empty not far outside of New Orleans some 4 years after Katrina? Did you know that contractors in many cases excluded local labor from the rebuilding work, i.e., those who could use it most? Illegal labor from Mexico was cheaper and they could line their wallets with more profit. The government can do very few things right, IMO. Too much corruption, too many power grabs, too much cronyism, too much greed. The folks calling the shots in Washington don't care if it doesn't in some way increase their chances of getting elected again the next cycle. If it doesn't do that, they could care less.

I admire your ideals, though, and I mean that genuinely.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

"Take a deep breath and focus!"

Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ah, there we go, something enjoyable and even something we can actually do something about. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
"Take a deep breath and focus!"

Old 08-12-2009, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Agreed, I can't make any statement unequivocally.
These are my opinions only.

And I also agree that there is a lot of waste and that big slabs of the money doesn't end up where its supposed to.

I wish they were giving me back my money.
We are running a deficit so I think its more like making me pay it back later.
But that aside, I guess what I'm saying is that some government involvement in the economy is OK by me.

And going back to Deej, there are a lot of services that I'm not comfortable with in private hands.
Some things are "better" done by governments.
Not necessarily cheaper or more efficient I agree.
Just as there are things I think governments should get the hell away from.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
BTW, Neil, I respect your opinion and beliefs even if I don't agree with them. I admire your ideals, though, and I mean that genuinely.
Thanks Brian, the feeling is mutual.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

double post

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 08-12-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
And going back to Deej, there are a lot of services that I'm not comfortable with in private hands.
Some things are "better" done by governments.
Not necessarily cheaper or more efficient I agree.
Just as there are things I think governments should get the hell away from.
We're in agreement here. We probably won't agree on what those services, are though. But let's do ourselves a favor and not open that can of worms.

Quick Reply: Gubment Spending Rant