19. secondclasshero
20. fishfinder
21. Firedude
22. lcp0331
23. mooredan
24. Finger Mullet
25. EvildoerZX10R
26. jsac

I would definitely say that this is something that the market has been looking for for some time.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards

ORIGINAL: Snal

Mike...take that pic...and picture a 1 pc unit. A bit more "meat" between the 2 halves with a hole to access that side of the axle...spacers added at each mounting bolt (same ones) to offset the bracket outward to clear the space that shows as a void between your 2 halves of the brackets...are ya with me?
I agree with that. It apears to me that Mikes lower bracket with one mounting point its just as vulnerable as the brake line that it is protecting. (just an observation)

Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Snal

I'll post some pics of a finished product when the time comes (I'm assuming that you've seen the pics of Mike's guard already).

The following is to anyone interested in the guard....

Please don't feel obligated to buy anything simply because you've jumped on the bandwagon here. I have no idea what the final cost will be at this point, and you have no idea what the finished product will look like or how it will perform...so there is NO obligation. The list of potential "wants" is simply part of the cost equation.
I did notice that there's a braided brake line available that "almost" eliminates the need for a guard, and they seem to start at $58....although that item has other benefits, I would think that the guard would cost much less. I don't want to speculate here, because I have to farm out the laser cutting, but I feel certain that the laser cutting won't be much (per piece) but it will be the most expensive part of the production.
There will be no profit made by anyone other than all of us gaining a needed product that nobody is producing. (unless this goes global <G&gt I don't personally know Chris or Mike...never met them...but Mike was smart enough to come up with a design, Chris was smart enough to see "our" need, and I was dumb enough to let it out that I have a fab shop....LOL! Seriously, I hope this idea will turn into a very reasonably priced guard that will serve the purpose, but don't think that it will beat the cost of buying $3 worth of angle iron and making it yourself after Mike showed you how.
If the cost gets out of the ballpark price wise, then we can forget about it, make our own, and hopefully go riding together!
Well said, Larry. Couldn't agree more on all points.

Mrphone & KAWASAKIspeed, here is a link to the skid plate group buy thread. This link goes to a post deep in the thread that includes pics of the finished product.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Mike...that is exactly what my first thought was.....but the curved center section would either have to be welded in, or I'd need to build a die to form it in one piece. To me...that drawing is the prefered design.
What I had in mind was to eliminate the curved section by using spacers behind the plate, but after measuring, it would look kinda silly for the whole thing to be pushed out that far, and the side bends would need to be longer, making it too bulky.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

It apears to me that Mikes lower bracket with one mounting point its just as vulnerable as the brake line that it is protecting. (just an observation)
That's true, but my thought was that if I hit a rock/stump, I'd rather trash the guard than the brake line. One thing I made sure of to provide a bit more protection () was to make sure the guard butts up against the lower caliper bolt. It may not add a lot of support, but it's gotta help, right ?!??

Here's a pic of what I mentioned earlier about adding a washer to include the lower caliper bolt as a second mounting point:

Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Personally, I dont think spacers are the answer to a one piece design. If it were to evolve to a one piece design I think it should be similar to the last attachment by YYY guy. It could be something as simple as adding a section of thinwall round mechanical tubing or pipe to accomplish that curve. True it would be more welding, but since welding is allready part of this design then it shouldnt be that much more of a process.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:45 PM

Very cool guys. Count me in. And while we are at it, maybe a blockoff plate for that front smog thing?
+1, This would be a great thing to have. It is the ONLY place I used one of those "Help-Brand" plugs.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

cwgoff, Please add me carlb (Carl Bonkowski) to the buy one list.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM

1. cwgoff
2. ginsu4u
3. EMS_0525
4. jeepphamilee
5. doubled6
6. coolchange
7. mnmadness
8. RU2112SH
9. JB1
10. Divodave
11. UTRoss
12.vfrpilot
13. Dirtsurfer (top only)
14. marc11
15. mmatz
16. mikem1965
17. wahtabi
18. mrphone
19. secondclasshero
20. fishfinder
21. Firedude
22. lcp0331
23. mooredan
24. Finger Mullet
25. EvildoerZX10R
26. jsac
27. CarbB

Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My mother used to ask "If all of your friends jump off a bridge, would you do it too?" Hell yeah! Count me in.

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards