GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards

ORIGINAL: Snal

I "think" that I can do this as a one piece unit, which would do 2 things. It would save fabrication time, and it "should" make the use of the 2 mounting bolts of the original design all that is needed for support and/or strength.
Hmm, I might just ditch the after market lower one... but only if I can get an autographed one with Mike's Signature....

Old 03-08-2007, 06:25 AM

I'll post some pics of a finished product when the time comes (I'm assuming that you've seen the pics of Mike's guard already).

The following is to anyone interested in the guard....

Please don't feel obligated to buy anything simply because you've jumped on the bandwagon here. I have no idea what the final cost will be at this point, and you have no idea what the finished product will look like or how it will perform...so there is NO obligation. The list of potential "wants" is simply part of the cost equation.
I did notice that there's a braided brake line available that "almost" eliminates the need for a guard, and they seem to start at $58....although that item has other benefits, I would think that the guard would cost much less. I don't want to speculate here, because I have to farm out the laser cutting, but I feel certain that the laser cutting won't be much (per piece) but it will be the most expensive part of the production.
There will be no profit made by anyone other than all of us gaining a needed product that nobody is producing. (unless this goes global <G&gt I don't personally know Chris or Mike...never met them...but Mike was smart enough to come up with a design, Chris was smart enough to see "our" need, and I was dumb enough to let it out that I have a fab shop....LOL! Seriously, I hope this idea will turn into a very reasonably priced guard that will serve the purpose, but don't think that it will beat the cost of buying $3 worth of angle iron and making it yourself after Mike showed you how.
If the cost gets out of the ballpark price wise, then we can forget about it, make our own, and hopefully go riding together!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:32 AM

Well I am in if it looks good.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

Well I am in if it looks good.
Gold plating will be optional....LOL!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's a pic of the current design, but it may evolve into something that's more "manufacturing friendly":

Name:  FrontBrakeLineGuard1227sa.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  75.3 KB

I agree with Snal's comments, though, and it sounds like he shares myoriginal design objectives:
[ul][*]Cheap[*]Effective[*]Good Looking (even without gold plating!)[/ul]
Mike

Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

Hmm, I might just ditch the after market lower one... but only if I can get an autographed one with Mike's Signature....

If it's gonna be laser cut, then it's gotta be laser etched! [sm=smiley31.gif]

Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 AM

Mike, my thoughts on a one piece deal suffer on two points. 1st...my idea would requiresleeves to offset the guard outwards to clear the cast lower section of the cylindrical shape below the fork tube, and would not utilize the lower caliper mount bolt as a stay. I haven't decided if a 1 pc unit would be as strong as your design if it looses the anchor provided by that wedge. Is that as clear as mud?

Your thoughts?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM

Mike...take that pic...and picture a 1 pc unit. A bit more "meat" between the 2 halves with a hole to access that side of the axle...spacers added at each mounting bolt (same ones) to offset the bracket outward to clear the space that shows as a void between your 2 halves of the brackets...are ya with me?

Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure that I follow you exactly, but this might be close ...

Instead of cutting 2 separate pieces, only cut 1 piece with the original parts at each end and only the side half of the angle iron between the 2 ends (the top view below shows the bottom half of the angle iron cut out to clear the fork leg). Part of the bending would include putting a curve inbetween the front and lower guards. The original mounting holes would still be used(including butting against the lower caliper mounting bolt), but now the mounting hole positioning is not critical, and strength is increased dramatically. The tricky (but not impossible) part is getting the length right, and bending it to hug the fork leg.

Is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

.... watching thread....

(posted so ill get emailed as this thread gets replied to and i can watch it evolve, def interested in one tho)

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards