Green Ridge State Forest ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Green Ridge State Forest ride

Just got back from a trip up to Green Ridge (Flintstone, MD) with my son (14). This was our first trip since October last year due to a couple of "incidents" (one involving me and one far more serious with a neighbor kid). On our last trip to Green Ridge I had air/fuel mix problems with my bike. Ran ok, just not at 6K RPMs, which is where I spend much of my time. I rejetted (Bill Blue Mikuni) mains and needle and put on a UNI air filter. Ran fine around here, but wasn't sure how it would be at a thousand feet or so higher elevation. I also put a Honda "power-up" kit on my son's CRF150F (mains and needle jet) and UNI, as well as BBK front and rear springs.

Both bikes were friggin phenomenal! Not a whisper of a complaint (though mine wasn't too happy to be in mud up to the shrouds).

Since we were at Green Ridge last they cleared the areas both at the trail head on 15 Mile Creek Rd and at the mid point on Mertens Ave to make a LOT more room for parking.

This was our 3rd (yesterday) and 4th (this morning) ride on this trail. Everything was right where we left it, including 2-foot deep puddles and rocks the size of your head.

Green Ridge is a novice (so I'm told - I thought is was hard enough) 18 mile loop in the mountains of Western Maryland. It's open to ORVs and riders 12 and older (with a permit). The trail winds in and out of the mountain on one stretch and straight across the top on the other.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a fun place for a day out. Any photos?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad you had a good time. Wish I could have been out there with you guys. My son and I have only been there once this season. The KLX runs great at that elevation, even stock. The loop runs like a track. I go so fast on the hill climb up the back of the mountain that I'm afraid to look at the speedometer. There's something out there for everybody. Good times.

Mike

Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

It's hard to stop and take pics when your having fun like that, but I do hope you took some pics for us. Sounds like a fun time, good times with the kid.
Dan

Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's the trail map

Friday afternoon - taking a water break at the overlook
-

At camp - my son and his CRF150F

Me and my KLX

A less-than-spectacular sunset

Our camp...taken at 4AM. We were so wiped out I went to bed at 9 and woke up a 3:45.

From Saturday morning....

We started out early, so the light wasn't too good. Wanted a pic of my son going through the deeper puddles on East Valley Rd, but had to settle for one in the clearing on East Valley near the power line cut:

View from the overlook

This is the new parking area at the trail head on 15 Mile Creek Rd. If you saw it before this work...you'll be shocked. Totally different:

Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
Glad you had a good time. Wish I could have been out there with you guys. My son and I have only been there once this season. The KLX runs great at that elevation, even stock. The loop runs like a track. I go so fast on the hill climb up the back of the mountain that I'm afraid to look at the speedometer. There's something out there for everybody. Good times.
Sorry we did this so last-minute. I literally decided on Wednesday to take Friday off and didn't think to send a PM until late Thursday.

I was going up that hill the first time around and wondered why my bike got so quiet...then realized we had changed elevation quite a bit and my ears were stopped up.

My son and I debated which is the toughest section. I think it's the entire first half of East Valley Rd. - all that weaving in and out, going through giant puddles, up steep rocky hills, and then finding your way down the other side through the rock shelves and roots is a challenge. But the first section of Stafford Rd from camp site 100 all the way to Mertens / the overlook is tricky - lots of weaving through rocks. Pretty sure I was maxing out at 25 through there, but generally going about 15-18.

I have the track saved on my GPS. Just need to find a computer with a seral port to upload it.