Gravel roads

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scallen
For those of you who can handle the gravel, what tires are you using? I feel like the front end wants to wash with me with the stock tires on it. I don't remember my old KDX with knobbies feeling that loose. I hate to go to knobbies because I need to ride the road to get to the gravel.
Hey mate. I am using the stock tyres (as my bike is still new) and have found that tyre pressure makes a big difference to the front end stability. As others have said on this forum, about 14 to 16 PSI in the front tyre seems to be the sweet spot. Any harder and you will struggle with washing out as the tyre just cannot get the purchase it needs. What I found strange though, was that going softer ended up feeling like I was going to wash out too.It is possibly due to the tyre carcass rolling, but I am not sure. Try 14 PSI and see if you feel any more stable.

Another thing which may be affecting you is your fork setup. Have you played with your damper clickers at all? And have you got your springs sorted out so they match your weight and riding style? That also makes a massive difference. As far as which direction to go with your clickers - I am no expert I am afraid. In my minds eye I can see that having the compression damping too soft will lead to your tyre skipping over the rough surface - but I really don't know. Maybe try going a couple of clicks each way and testing each setting out to see if you find any improvements.

PS. The advice of trying top relax and just let your bike squiggle and squirm under you is the best advice. Let the bike do the hard work while your relaxed arms and legs just make gentle adjustments to stay on course. With practice muscle memory will develop and kick in when you need it - will make your riding so much more enjoyable!

Last edited by Arctra; 06-29-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Come ride with us in the sand. you'll pray for gravel!!

I get hacked off that the KLX won't pull 4th in the deep sand. Just not enough umph yet....

Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Remember.....It a friggin race.
Weight the outside footpeg while riding bends. Works for me in sixth gear at over 100 klicks.
I recon we have more graded roads here than most. Some are short on corners, but when they come you've gotta enjoy em.