The Grapevine Mods Are Now Complete!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Default The Grapevine Mods Are Now Complete!

After a long employment imposed delay, I finally got a chance to put the mods into the KLX250S today.

What I did:

1. KDX220 airbox snorkle

2. KLX300R needle

3. #125 main jet

4. Drilled out pilot jet and set it to 2.5 turns out

5. Drilled out the slide with a 7/64ths drill bit

6. Drilled out the stock muffler first baffle with a 1/2 inch drill bit

Does it make a difference! You bet 'cha Red Ryder! A magnificent differece! I found out that the KLX250S has a tendency to do a bit of headshake at about 85 mph indicated! Never was able to get there before! [sm=nxsmile.gif]

After getting all the changed made, I filled the bike up with gas (I removed the tank after draining it) and it was bone dry. I hit the start button and before I could get my hand on the choke, the bike was running. It sounded a lot throatier, huskier and had excellent throttle response.

When I took it out for a ride, I immediately noticed that you don't need to give it as much throttle when starting out from a dead stop. The whole driveability of the bike is so much better.

No I did not change the sprocket out to a 13 toother. The reason is simple. I don't have one yet. I only ordered mine from Dual-Star back in January. I guess I have to wait for it to be in stock. If anyone knows where I can order one and get it this week, or this month, please let me know. Dual-Star has once gain showed they don't want my business.

I did however do a bad thing. I listened to the Muzzy soundtrack. Damn, now that's $400 that could have been spent on something else.

Thanks for all the information on mods, it made a huge improvement in an already great motorcycle!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The Grapevine Mods Are Now Complete!

Hey Marty, do you have a picture of the kdx200 snorkle? I have been thinking about getting it and I just wanted to see what all the hub bub is about....
thanks

Old 04-14-2006, 01:40 AM

Not a problem . . .

Here's the stock snorkle lurking under the seat

Name:  Undeertheseatyouwillfind.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  76.7 KB

Here's a comparison shot between the two. Which do you think flows more air?

Name:  Canyouseeadifference.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  100.4 KB

Here's the new KDX snorkle installed with the opening facing aft - kinda looks like a scoop on John Force's funny car!

Name:  Lookslikeahoodscoop.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  30.7 KB

Now that the intake is working good, I might have to replace that boat-anchor Kawasaki calls an exhaust system. I heard that sound clip of a Muzzy full system and I'm kinda hooked. Know what I mean Vern?

Old 04-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Here's the new KDX snorkle installed with the opening facing aft - kinda looks like a scoop on John Force's funny car!
All my parts just arrived for this so I'm about to undertake this same procedure. Just curious - why face the snorkel aft? I can't image that would affect air flow. Is it to reduce the likelyhood of water entering the air box or something?

Old 04-14-2006, 03:49 AM

Glad the bike is treating you better now. I have also done all the mods listed and noticed that now if I haven't started the bike up in a couple of days, the 1st time I start it up its really sluggish on the throttle response when I 1st start it. I mean real sluggish. This is before its put in gear and is ridden, its during the warm up process. I only pull the throttle to 4,000 RPMs but its like there is a dead spot about maybe 1/8th to 1/4 of the throttle. After it warms up and I get it on the street this completley dissapears. I was just wondering if anyone elses bike did this, and what it might be. Like I said, it dissapears after you 1st get on it and ride it for about 3 seconds, no joke.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Marty,

13t sprocket partn number 24502 from http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/

and congrats on getting the carb work done. Even more fun now eh?

Old 04-14-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

All my parts just arrived for this so I'm about to undertake this same procedure. Just curious - why face the snorkel aft? I can't image that would affect air flow. Is it to reduce the likelyhood of water entering the air box or something?

Under the seat there is not much aero advanage, so I chose facing the rear as a precautionary advantage.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Brian, turning the snorkel around was necessary to stop carb icing in the cold fog and rain for my bike.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: a16tony

Brian, turning the snorkel around was necessary to stop carb icing in the cold fog and rain for my bike.

Yeah, that works for me too! I've never had my carb ice with the snorkle in that direction! [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 04-14-2006, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey thinks for the pics... it looks really good... I might just have to pick one of those up since i just have the hole where the stock one went. How much did you pay and can you give me the site where you ordered it from? Thanks again...

Quick Reply: The Grapevine Mods Are Now Complete!