GPS Suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

""""Create your own interface with the handle bars? How about just using the RAM mount? I have the ball on both the KLX and KLR and the suction cup mount for the truck. """""

Where were you when I was ordering my equipment? I have not seen that mount your using anywhere but on your bike. Those long arm ball mounts look like they would vibrate terribly. Plus, we are talking 2 mounts @ $45 so that is a $90 decision for both bikes. Anyway it is done now.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

a little late but i used one of these on my old xr200
Garmin Bicycle Mount for eTrex and Summit

Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm

BAD JUJU with this setup!!!

Although it's a very compact and secure mount, it transfers a LOT of vibration to the GPS. GPS units that take batteries (like my Garmin Legend) are prone to lose power because the battery bounces in the battery compartment. Your GPS will just shut off, and if you don't notice it, you could be missing critical tracks that you may need to get back home. I love the mount, but I quit using mine for that reason. The issue is well-documented all over the web.

Lately, I have been using my Garmin neoprene case, and just clipping it to something on my rear rack (luggage, jacket, tool bag, etc.). Doing so dissipates vibrations, and keeps the power "on". The drawback is I have to stop to look at it (which I rarely do anyway, since I know most of the trails I ride).

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, my GPSmap76 in the RAM mount will occasionally lose a battery connection from vibration and shut down. No biggie. Just turn it back on an continue. I think if I were serious about it, I'd hard-wire in a 12V supply.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I ordered the mount rogers posted, with all the hububb about vibration, I did not install it & designed my own mount that isolates vibrations.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm

I use that on my mountain bike.

I have not had any problems with the GPS in the ram mount. I bought the cradle and arm for 40$ then an addition handle bar ball for cheap off of ebay. It has been through some nasty crashes, no problems still on and working never budged an inch.

Motorcycle Handlebar 1"Ball Mount Fits Garmin Zumo 450 500 550 Series GPS Cradle | eBay

RAM Cradle Holder for the Garmin eTrex Legend C, Legend Cx, Venture Cx, Vista C, Vista Cx & Vista HCx

RAM Mounts from e-mount - View Selected Products

Take your pick.....

Last edited by EMS_0525; 10-19-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone had any experience with a Magellan GPS? I found an Explorist 610 on sale for $250 this week. To me, it looks like it might be ok, but an experienced opinion would be a big help.

eXplorist 610 Canada

Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I happen to have a Garmin 76CX with maps and mount for sale.

Not listed on this site but PM if interested.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I use a Garmin Oregon too. The screen is a bit small but it works. It runs a long time on 2 AA batteries so I don't have to worry about wiring it to the bike. It is also handy for hiking. I added the City Navigator maps so I can get routing. I have it mounted on the handlebar with RAM.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member

For price and performance, my money's on the Garmin 60CSx. Although an older model, it has great performance, has batteries, is waterproof and can easily be hard wired to the bike. Were I spending more money I'd opt for the Garmin 276C or the new Garmin Montana.

I run a GPS on all of my bikes and look at them as a great tool. Let us know what you end up with.

Tom

Quick Reply: GPS Suggestions???