GPS set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS set ups?

Hmmm not sure about the hard wired power I should look into it, I keep leaving it on all night and then the batteries go dead. One thing I bring on every ride is extra batteries. Also the lithium AA batteries last 3 times as long and are not quite twice as much. On that mount that you linked, that looks good, but a little high for my taste. I have the folding mirrors and I like the front of the bike clean while riding off road, but I wonder if that mount can be rotated upside down and then the GPS can be turned for a lower look? Hmmmm, not a bad price too.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Hmmm not sure about the hard wired power I should look into it, I keep leaving it on all night and then the batteries go dead. One thing I bring on every ride is extra batteries. Also the lithium AA batteries last 3 times as long and are not quite twice as much. On that mount that you linked, that looks good, but a little high for my taste. I have the folding mirrors and I like the front of the bike clean while riding off road, but I wonder if that mount can be rotated upside down and then the GPS can be turned for a lower look? Hmmmm, not a bad price too.
I did some more research and the Garmin one apparently breaks on occasion too...
http://www.gpscity.com/search-010-10454-00/c=all

The swivel is pretty flexible on the Ram mount. Also, I have seen where people take the individual parts from a Ram mount and fabricate their own bracket and attach the 1" rubberized ball and make nice custom mounts with minimal work...You need to see if the Etrex can be hard wired. If it has the connector on the back it should be able without modding the case.
db

Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Anyone used one of these?
They're IPX7 rated and fabled to be ultra tough?
Any thoughts?
[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WestOzKLX

Anyone used one of these?
They're IPX7 rated and fabled to be ultra tough?
Any thoughts?
[sm=feedback.gif]
Thats what Deej has but in a different color. His may be older but on the first page of this thread you can see it.

db

Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Not sure if mine is newer, but mine has the fill color screen and other features. I picked sort of a mid range model. I really like it.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Not sure if mine is newer, but mine has the fill color screen and other features. I picked sort of a mid range model. I really like it.
Yep, yours looks like a better version from what I can see you have an Etrex Legend HCx ( Part Number: 010-00629-00 Suggested Retail Price: $ 267.84 USD) where the one above is just an Etrex Legend ( Part Number: 010-00256-00 Suggested Retail Price: $ 160.70 USD)

db

Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 PM

Garmin 60CSX with Mapsource City Select and USA Topo maps.

Name:  GPSKLX.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  56.8 KB

Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I just bought the garmin nuvi and just ordered the RAM mount for it from fleabay.I'll post pics when it's on

Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WarCop

Garmin 60CSX with Mapsource City Select and USA Topo maps.

Is that the Garmin mount? I am going to use the Ram mount now that I figured I can configure it many different ways by buying different links etc..Here is a link of the parts used by a guy with a Honda uses the same parts I am getting. He covered his speedo as he is using the gps for one but I will mount mine more like yours.
http://www.ram-mount.com/reviews/16honda.htm
db

Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 PM

That is the Garmin Mount. I had it on my four wheeler for a couple of years. It took a beating and has not broken.

Quick Reply: GPS set ups?