GPS set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS set ups?

The Garmin 60CSX runs with 2 AA batteries so how do we connect it to the 12V on our bikes? I see the cigarette lighter style adapter and I am guessing inside the plug on that thing is some voltage regulator to get the voltage down to 3V? Or does the GPS itself have the voltage regulator inside when using that adapter? I want to get the adapter and whack off the plug and add a plug that mates with my Battery Tender plug but don't want to fry the unit. I also think typing this out answered my questions. I'll bet the GPS has the regulator in it and properly adjusts the voltage when using the adapter.
db

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Solved ^ by calling Garmin. I have the part numbers for a mount and a "bare wire" harness so I am closer to buying a 60CSx than ever...

db

Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I also have the Zumo 550, mounted it on the handlebars, and wired it into the rear light's power, works like a dream. I'd post pics, but the bike is still in storage, hope to rectify that this weekend, will try to grab some shots to post! I've done lots of off-road with the Zumo, works great for offroad trails, I did the offroad Ride for Sight run in Ontario last June, about 400 kms on about 30 different routes, Zumo was perfect for the job.

Dave

Old 04-11-2008, 03:28 AM

To set the lock on road feature on a 60CSX go to setup then select map the first ICON that shows up should be a N symbol with some arrows around it. At the bottom of the menu on that page you will see the lock on road feature. I use to keep mine on all the time, because my mapping software is a little dated and road construction where extra lanes are added will throw it off, now that I have been using it a few years, it doesnt bother me to track a few meters off the road.

To set the map datum go to setup then units and the map datum should be in the menu listed below.

For those of you with GPS systems on your bike you should check out Geocaching. Its a great way to get out and explore new areas with your bike. It also improves your GPS navigation and situational awareness skills.

Hope this helped.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks got it, was already on [8D]in regards to map datum, would WGS84 be the best for canada too? Theres one here labled NAD27 Canada. I dont know much about these things so not really sure what the datum is.

Maybe i should [sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif]

Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 AM

I am not sure which one you should use for Canada.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I just bought a Garmin 60CSx as it looked like it would work perfect for its intended use. Now I am faced with the mount choices. I read the Garmin bike mount isn't all that good so I am probably going for the Ram Mount with the SS u-bolt. But then I kept researching and read that the Ram cradle can and does break and to be sure to use the lanyard so I am still thinking, but I don't want to spend tons of $$ on a TT mount either...Its always something. I will most likely get the Ram mount and assume the one story I read about the broken cradle was by someone (there is always that one review), that hit a tree with the mount and thats why it broke....
db

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Dave, I have the Garmin bike mount, and its perfect. Its been on a lot of bumpy roads, and it holding up just fine. One thing I do as a precaution is to hook the lanyard around the bar a couple of times and then click the GPSright into the mount. I love the quick release.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey Dave, I have the Garmin bike mount, and its perfect. Its been on a lot of bumpy roads, and it holding up just fine. One thing I do as a precaution is to hook the lanyard around the bar a couple of times and then click the GPSright into the mount. I love the quick release.
Deej,
Thats good to know...I was thinking of wiring up both bikes and putting mounts on both so we can share the gps and possibly buy another one . Have you seen the Ram mounts? Here is a link. I may get the Garmin and the Ram mount if I do the 2 bike thing. Here is a link to the Ram mount I am talking about: Are you using batteries yet? Does your gps have the place on back to hardwire it? If so, punch in the Garmin # 010-10082-00 on ebay and you can get a good deal on a harness to hardwire it.
http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun...amb149ga12.htm
db

Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej,
The part number for the Garmin mount for a 60CSx is # 010-10454-00 so I wonder if its basically the same as for your Etrex?
db

Quick Reply: GPS set ups?