GPS set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Garmin 2620

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R
I have the Zumo 550 for my street bikes. It is great but no detail for off road and it doesn't leave the doted line to show where you've been.
I have a Zumo 550 on my other bike as well and loaded topo maps which work OK, in the off road mode it will leave the dotted line (bread crumbs), make sure that your unit has the latest software loaded wich ch v 4.00

Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

On the GPS60CSx you can load a NA streets map and then go into the unit and toggle it off and then load a topo map of the same area + other areas and it will share the same info.I did this to cover an area from philly to Columbus,Ohio and it worked great.If you get off the truly beaten path just toggle the map in the "map" "menu" page of the unit.U can switch between downloaded maps right on that page of the unit itself.I'm currently running a 2 G card and you can get most of the east coast in topo and citynav loaded with plenty of room to spare.
For routing......do your auto route on your PC and then download in seperate sections and it will cover you very good.
I also run a RAM mount to put it higher up on the bars so i can see it easier when i'm riding.....I really can't figure out why this is in italics because i never tried to change anything.....LOL....It just changed.....maybe there is a top secret button combination that i hit by acciddent.......now i can't figure out how to make it normal.......damn silicone junk.....

Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I started the search for a gps and man, a lot of reading and deciding. At first I thought of getting an explorer type for a cheap one but now I am liking the GPS 60csx. What other accessories do I need to make it all work? A mount for the handlebars and a cable for power? And where is the best place to get a deal on these?
Thanks,
db

Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davebert
And where is the best place to get a deal on these?
Thanks,
db
No Brainer, ScubaSteve of course, your discount marine electronics provider.
I don't think you could beat his price, unless it's used which is not always a bad thing, garmin gps's are pretty tough.

Edit: I just checked his website, then compared it to ebay. I saw a few items a little cheaper on fleabay, but not much. PSI don't have to pay shipping from him, I just go over to his warehouse and get it...might snag a beer outta the fridge too. lol

linkyhttp://www.scubasteve.biz/store/marineelectronics.htm

Got any questions, email him, he knows a lot more about gps's than we do. Good guy and an aquaintance of mine.

Make sure you check the clearance outlet section, sometimes some real good deals their.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Good guy and an aquaintance of mine.
[]I hope so if your stealin' beers![8D]

Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's mine, Garmin 276C:

Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh my jesus, thatcontraptionis huge! Must be nice for finding you're way tho.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It's the same GPS I've had for several years and it's great, I like it a lot. The mount is new, though, and I'm not totally happy with it. It's great for visibility while riding and is locking too, but I'm not so sure it'll survive the woods. I liked my old RAM mount, but it won't work on my flexx bars.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Default RE: GPS set ups?

I have a Garmin 60CSX in the set up it hasa feature called lock on road. Sometimes when that is not turned on it tracks to the side of the road. Also if you can change the map datum on your model make sure it is set to WGS84 (it may also read WGS_1984). I use the mapquest city select and US Topo maps on my Garmin and seldom run into problems. When road construction moves a road a few hundred meters it still locks on the road. If you go off road you might want to turn the lock on road feature off. The 60CSX is a tough durable GPS i used mine for 15 months in Afghanistan, before that it took many beatings on the handle bar of my four wheeler. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS set ups?

ORIGINAL: WarCop

I have a Garmin 60CSX in the set up it hasa feature called lock on road. Sometimes when that is not turned on it tracks to the side of the road. Also if you can change the map datum on your model make sure it is set to WGS84 (it may also read WGS_1984). I use the mapquest city select and US Topo maps on my Garmin and seldom run into problems. When road construction moves a road a few hundred meters it still locks on the road. If you go off road you might want to turn the lock on road feature off. The 60CSX is a tough durable GPS i used mine for 15 months in Afghanistan, before that it took many beatings on the handle bar of my four wheeler. Hope this helps.
Wanna send me a PM on how to enable that....I'm not finding it and can't seem to find my manual

Quick Reply: GPS set ups?