GPS set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Garmin 2620

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

Garmin makes some outstanding equipment. Their mapping software is far superior as well. I had a magellan and it was absolute GARBAGE. Not very accurate, or up to date. No support for it either.

If you guys (if you dont already) like what the stock software does, you should invest in the topo maps. I have the canadian one and it shows me all the oil lease roads, dumps, power lines EVERYTHING.

I should mount it to my bars (60CSx) but not sure if i've got the space for er.
Yep, Topo is good.
I loaded Oz Topo and all sorts of extra tracks are displyed.
I also can turn on or off contour lines which can be helpful.
Where contour linescan beuseful is when trying to determine which way you are pointing when you are stopped.
Something gps's are not so good at.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tconnell

Anyone here made up a mount for the Garmin 2620 and put it on the KLX250?

Got an extra Garmin 2620 and cradle here along with the hardwire kit and just got this bike a few days ago. Thought I might as well use one here unsted of carrying maps along. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Don't use a 2620 on a motorcycle!! That GPSR has a hard drive that stores the maps. Vibration will crash the drive in no time at all. The 2610 has a memory card and works great on a motorcycle but the 2620 is not motorcycle friendly.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS set ups?

I currently have two GPSRs. A Garmin 2610 w/2GB card and a Magellan RoadMate 2200T. Both can navigate well but the 2610 has a larger & brighter screen. Both screens are touch screens. Both suffer from direct sunlight glare. The 2610 has a bunch of features and a tracklog plus the Garmin navigation program you can use to plan routes. The RoadMate OTOH has limited features and all route planning is pretty much limited to the receiver although it is pretty fast at calculating a route and has a much more sensitive receiver. I use an external antenna with the 2610 and even then it has a hard time locking on the satellites in dense forest or in a small building. For long trips I prefer the 2610 although the RoadMate does have a complete USA/Canada map database w/o the use of a memory chip. One thing the RoadMate has that the 2610 doesn't is the ability to play tunes with a plug in memory card although I don't use that feature as I use an iPod for tunes.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS set ups?

ORIGINAL: green242

I have the explorist 500. magellan. It's pretty good for what I use it for. SOoo much you can do with it, but I pretty well just use simple basic stuff on it.
I got mapsend TOPO Canada for it, and it amazes me the roads that are mapped on it. I don't understand how.. Some are barely walking trails.. Only new roads and trails arn't on it.
It will track my positions of course
I can do things like backtrack, and set if I want it to let me know if I am going off track and how far.
It will save geocaches in it for doing geocacheing (huh, duhhh!)... I did that once and it was neat
It's got a color screen.
I got the extra space I think 2Gb card for it, so I can basically save all of canada on it.
It will do that same thing where I save a track, then bring it up on my mapsend program and it will play my track, along with show my elevation
One thing I wish I had though, was the explorist XL instead. I alwayse find the small screen on the 500 is not big enough and I do alot of scrolling because the farther out the zoom, the less details you see.

I have a 20 Gb card Iwould love to have Canada/ but North America would be even better
where did you get your maps? so far the help I've got from MAG has sucked- I gues I just have not spent enough $$$

Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: egrant

Don't use a 2620 on a motorcycle!! That GPSR has a hard drive that stores the maps. Vibration will crash the drive in no time at all. The 2610 has a memory card and works great on a motorcycle but the 2620 is not motorcycle friendly.
Not So. Egrant, I have 2 Garmin 2620's on bikes now. One on a 2002 GL1800 - been on that bike for 9 months and almost 20k miles now,and the other on a 2006 Kaw Nomad for almost 2 years and over 18k miles. The earlier versions of the 2620 had a removable 1.2 Gig Microdrive in the unit andwere removable through a side door.None of these units have that side door, and I am told by Garmin tech department that later models were changed to internal memory. I have riden through some tough things as far as vibration and rain with these other units, one of which was an 1,162 mile Iron Butt ride in 18 hours this past Feb 25th on my 70th birthday, and the unit on the Goldwing has never blinked.

Thanks for the info and if it craps out on me, they aren't much now on eBay.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

The Garmin Zumo 550 is designed for motorcycle use.
It's water proof and reasonably shock proof.
It has a touch screen but the commonly used buttons are large rubber ones that can be used with the left hand and with gloves on.
The on screen keyboard can be set at large to allow gloved hand use.
The screen is a little brighter.
It has bluetooth so a bluetooth headset can be fitted inside your helmet.
I don't use this but it also has an mp3 player built in so it would be a good thing if you want to hear tunes via a bluetooth headset.

If you are looking to buy one then at least check this one out. After all my research this was to me was clearly the one for use on a trail bike.

The only thing that I am not happy about is it is only compatible with a pc. And I run a mac at home.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup, Zumo is the best out there right now......wait didn't I already post that.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tconnell

ORIGINAL: egrant

Not So. Egrant, I have 2 Garmin 2620's on bikes now. One on a 2002 GL1800 - been on that bike for 9 months and almost 20k miles now, and the other on a 2006 Kaw Nomad for almost 2 years and over 18k miles. The earlier versions of the 2620 had a removable 1.2 Gig Microdrive in the unit and were removable through a side door. None of these units have that side door, and I am told by Garmin tech department that later models were changed to internal memory. I have riden through some tough things as far as vibration and rain with these other units, one of which was an 1,162 mile Iron Butt ride in 18 hours this past Feb 25th on my 70th birthday, and the unit on the Goldwing has never blinked.

Thanks for the info and if it craps out on me, they aren't much now on eBay.
Good to know that Garmin replaced the hard drive with internal memory making the 2620 into a 2610 of sorts. Rock on!!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 AM

I had the exact same GPS as the original post. Mine was off just a tad also even when it was new. I think the maps were not very accurate when those units came out. Mine was stolen out of my truck! It was a great GPS it survived falling off my bike after a hard wheelie landing. I use this Map 76 on my KLX it's water proof, shock resistant, and floats. I have the parks and recreationCDand when I download an area it even hasfire roads and some trails on it.It is a little old school but I love the detail of the off-road with thedownloadedmaps.

I have the Zumo 550 for my street bikes. It is great but no detail for off road and it doesn't leave the doted line to show where you've been.

Try to guess what I was doing.No,I was not on a plane or a train. Or in abox with a fox... (sorry I couldn't resist)

Name:  Motorcycles020.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  43.6 KB

OK, I won't make you wait. I was on my zx10r flat out going down hill. This was in 06 shortly after breaking in my new (then) bike.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

I have the Zumo 550 for my street bikes. It is great but no detail for off road and it doesn't leave the doted line to show where you've been.

Yes it does have a few limitations as it's essentially a street navigator.
Getting Topo helped but it still has a few short comings.

Swithing it to offroad mode is great for navigating to a point, but it's still not a real offroad GPS.

I believe you can upload where you have been onto a pc? mmm I wish I had one.

Quick Reply: GPS set ups?