GPS set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS set ups?

i broke my gps mount... haha, i was so excited to have it on there two... but now i got the important part of it, the little screw, so maybe i can make something up to hold it. Back to the shop!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Nope, its free, unless you want to buy more detailed address and other maps. But as far as the GPS right out of the box it will show roads, and streets, lakes and pretty much everything you need. No fees.
Ok, good. We need to get one then
Thanks,
db

Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes a GPS is the only way to go if you take off in any direction and want to use the track to get back. I can be out on some fire road and take a dozen roads and turns, and not have to worry about finding my way back. It really takes away the worry of getting in over your head. Oh and make sure to make a way point and always take an extra set of batteries.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Yes a GPS is the only way to go if you take off in any direction and want to use the track to get back. I can be out on some fire road and take a dozen roads and turns, and not have to worry about finding my way back. It really takes away the worry of getting in over your head. Oh and make sure to make a way point and always take an extra set of batteries.
I was going to tap in to my battery tender plug to supply power if its the correct voltage to solve the battery problems. A new toy is always fun except for the 500 pages of instructions.
db

Old 04-02-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: neilaction

A bit of work but the result works well for me.
Very sweet neil, and I know my gps's. If you want the best get a zumo like neil...awsome garmin product made for bikes with left hand controls w/tft display and totally waterproof. I want one but it's about $500 right neil? and I got a perfectly good garmin chartplotter I use on my boat that I rigged up to switch out an work on my 640 advand my klx in a pinch. Just gotta put in a land baseddata card. Nice job man I'm jealous.

Deej you want to hard wire any gps if possible....they suck no juice as far as the klx is concerned but even the small ones will eat some batteries.

Oh Neil, get a photobucket account and embed dem pics

Name:  GPS.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 04-02-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Neil, after posting your pic .... I just noticed you made your own dash with your warning and indicator lights, thats tight! I know the gps will give speed .... does the zumo have a tach interface or do ya just not worry about it?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Hey Neil, after posting your pic .... I just noticed you made your own dash with your warning and indicator lights, thats tight! I know the gps will give speed .... does the zumo have a tach interface or do ya just not worry about it?
Yep I did pull out the original gauges and made up the one you see.
The Zume 550 comes with 2 cradles.
One is a fixed cradle and that one I mounted on a bracket and fixed it to the triple clamp.
The other has a suction cup which I take with me in the car.
I just unclip the Zumo when I need to.
You also get bar mounts but a GPS looks very vunerable up there.

Ishaped some high density foam to mount the warning lights to.
I don't worry about a tacho. It's just not needed IMHO.

The whole GPS sits just below the top edge of the headlight shroud.
It justs looks like it's part of the bike and is out of harms way when I stack it.
Another kinda useful feature is it has a "fuel gauge".
Well you program in the fuel tanks range and you need to reset when you fill up.
It then warns you when it thinks you are getting low.

The only down side is that I lose the ignition switch and lock.
I had to cut part of the top triple clamp to remove the alloy ring that sits around the key switch.
I have just mounted a toggle switchbut I guess I could have sourced a key switch if I wanted a bit more security.
Oh and you lose the odometer.
I have no idea how many k's I have done.
The Zumo only has a trip meter and I use that as a trip meter.
I thought about never resetting it but then I couldn't use the GPS in any other vehicle.

The Zumo 550 cost me $1500 Aus dollars.
That's about $1300 US.
mmmm I should have waited and bought it online.
Oh well. I am not a patient man.

Cheers

Point taken about photobucket.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up Neil.

I'm not going to post the current new price for the 550 on ebay in the US water under the bridge..lol..... I forgot about the fuel function.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Garmin 2620

Anyone here made up a mount for the Garmin 2620 and put it on the KLX250?

Got an extra Garmin 2620 andcradle here along with the hardwire kit and just got this bike a few days ago. Thought I might as well use one here unsted of carrying maps along. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Garmin 2620

Garmin makes some outstanding equipment. Their mapping software is far superior as well. I had a magellan and it was absolute GARBAGE. Not very accurate, or up to date. No support for it either.

If you guys (if you dont already) like what the stock software does, you should invest in the topo maps. I have the canadian one and it shows me all the oil lease roads, dumps, power lines EVERYTHING.

I should mount it to my bars (60CSx) but not sure if i've got the space for er.

Quick Reply: GPS set ups?