GPS set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default GPS set ups?

so after my last excursion out into the wilderness i found my self lost at about 30 or so miles into the ride, so later that night i decided to bust out the old out dated Garmin Emap GPS and see if she's still kickin. Yeap. Shows all the main roads, highways, and routes. It also keeps a memory of everywhere you've been by making small "tracks" across the map. I ordered a GPS handlbar mount for about $11.00 (shipping included) from the Garmin web site. Theres just one catch so far.... it seems as if it was dropped at some point. It tracks me being next to the road i'm actually on. the tracks that it shows me going on are true and correct. but its not aligned with where i really am on the map. off about a 1/4 mile. Guess thats why my dad just let me have it Called up garmin and asked if there was anything they could do, they sent me a free cable to connect it to the computer (the same one i saw listed on their site for over $20) so i can update the maps on it and possiably fix the mis tracking problem its having. I'm just waiting on some tech support, and i should have this thing back in working order hopefully.

anyone else have an Emap? any other similar problems?

lost in the woods once again
Name:  DSCN0938.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  254.9 KB

Not any more!!!Name:  DSCN0943.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  215.1 KB

haha, i just noticed my licence plate is all bent up and in from getting sucked in by the tire... good little knobys... i now know that your working to grab EVERYTHING!
I'll be making some sort of bracket for that today... that one thats on there is only thin aluminum. probably just flexed on a landing and got sucked in.

Name:  DSCN0945.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  102.4 KB

Old 03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS set ups?

I switched from my Etrex legend last summer to a GPS60 CSx so i can store more info.Mounted with a RAM mount.Kick butt gps IMO.It survided 2 bad rollovers on the atv .

Old 03-28-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Its true the Gps60 is a good unit. Rode with one on a snowmobile last january in Labrador at temps reaching -45 degrees and the things ran like a champ the entire 2 weeks of the trip.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have the E-trex Legend, and I have the full version of Garmin 2008 streets and all the maps. All the even small logging roads show up, every stream and pothole. Here is my setup, one thing I noticed though even just driving around town, if you have the scale set to say 500 ft or less even down to 80 ft and your traveling a little too fast it sometimes pushes the track next to you until it can track again. I usually leave it on the 1.2 mile or the 800ft setting, seems to track better that way, I think the only time you really need to go all the way down to 80,30 or 20 ft is if you are geocaching.

Name:  BikecameraandGPS002.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  78.8 KB

Old 03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I use the same GPS from my mountain bike. It's small size makes it convenient to swap from bicycle to motorcycle. Although not quite as elaborate as most listed here, it can mark a "bread crumb" route to get you back to the starting point. It's a Garmin Edge, model 205...lightweight and convenient. You can also upload your ride to a web-based mapping program that will overlay your adventure. I'm at work, so no picture available mounted on the bikes. Here's a link to the GPShttps://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...0&pID=6400

Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a black and white Legend for $99 and downloaded an older version of the mapsthat didn't require licensing or activation. Works like a champ.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

eXplorist 500 for me, although I am having a tuff time finding maps, and it "seems" complicated to operate[:@]
it can do so much that may be part of the problem. the other part is I'm looking for "free" maps and the company
got things pretty locked up.

anyone got maps to share for this brand?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

what is that black tube under teh cross bar?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

That's the front brake-line, unless you're talking about that larger black plastic looking thing on deej's bike then....?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TypeSH

I bought a black and white Legend for $99 and downloaded an older version of the mapsthat didn't require licensing or activation. Works like a champ.

Is that the stock bars? If so how did you get the pad over the brake bracket?

Quick Reply: GPS set ups?