GPS mount and power pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:16 AM
Default GPS mount and power pictures

Last night I installed the handle bar mount and soldered in the DC power/data cord into the bike.

Here is the power/data cord. I used one of the hot leads from the old instrument cluster. Just soldered and heatshrunk the wires into place. I routed the wires to wrap under the handle bars and zip tied everything up nice and tight.

Installed the handle bar mount. It comes with some rubber strips to size to fit but even with both of them the mount was a little large for the bars cross brace. So I used a slice of mnt bike inner tube and wrapped it around a few times.

And the finished product showing the bike running/power on and the indicator the shows my wiring worked and it isn't running on the batteries.

All in all and very simple process. I love this GPS it is outstanding. As you can see I am getting all kinda of signals even inside my garage with a closed door! I would highly recommend the Garmin 60CSx!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GPS mount and power pictures

Very well done and nice write up and photos too. I need to get me another cord for my old GPS III+ and do that same mod. It gets old running off battery power.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:11 AM

I was planning to do the same thing this week. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:57 AM

Same here, I'm doing mine tomorrow. I've only been playing with the 60csx for a few hours but I like it. I need some software now I guess. The base map is pretty......well...basic. I'm using the RAM mount. I will try to snap some pics.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Ginsu4u

Same here, I'm doing mine tomorrow. I've only been playing with the 60csx for a few hours but I like it. I need some software now I guess. The base map is pretty......well...basic. I'm using the RAM mount. I will try to snap some pics.
Ya the base map sux. I acquired metro guide 7 and US topo. Both work great.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 AM

I did the same thing with mine but I hooked it straight to the battery. Then where I connected it I used heat shrink and soldered all the connections. It's great not worrying about batteries + in low light or in the woods you a can use the light in the GPS without thinking about running the batteries down.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jeepphamilee

Last night I installed the handle bar mount and soldered in the DC power/data cord into the bike.

Here is the power/data cord. I used one of the hot leads from the old instrument cluster. Just soldered and heatshrunk the wires into place. I routed the wires to wrap under the handle bars and zip tied everything up nice and tight.

Installed the handle bar mount. It comes with some rubber strips to size to fit but even with both of them the mount was a little large for the bars cross brace. So I used a slice of mnt bike inner tube and wrapped it around a few times.

And the finished product showing the bike running/power on and the indicator the shows my wiring worked and it isn't running on the batteries.

All in all and very simple process. I love this GPS it is outstanding. As you can see I am getting all kinda of signals even inside my garage with a closed door! I would highly recommend the Garmin 60CSx!

Now I know where to get a five fingered discount on a nice Garmin GPS[sm=guilty.gif]

Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 AM

[sm=yikesomg.gif] Ya I figured someone would pick up on the lat/long on the screen.