GPS Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default GPS Mount

I did a quick search with few results. I finally bought a GPS (Garmin 62s) that I am proud to own (still learning how to use it and need to buy the map pack for the North East USA $$$).

I want to mount it to my KLX. I have been looking at several different mounts and want to know what will work and if anyone has had experience with any of these.

Amazon.com: RAM Mount Garmin GPSMAP 62 62s 62st EZ Bike Rail Strap Mount (RAP-274-1-GA41U): Electronics

Amazon.com: Garmin 010-11023-00 Colorado/Oregon Series Bike Mount: Electronics

Wix.com 4point2 created by thenunu78 based on Heavy Equipment! (not sure this will work with the 62)

Amazon.com: RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Mount for Garmin GPSMAP 62 62s 62st GPS: Electronics
(also have a shorter version):
RAM Mount Garmin GPSMAP 62 62s 62st Short Motorcycle Mount RAM-B-149-A-GA41U, RAM-B-149-A-GA41U

The last 2 look very nice and set up for motorcycles but seem to be geared toward street riding. Even with the short version I can see a tree taking the mount out. Maybe it can be angled in a way that keeps it from protruding out too much?

The 2nd and 3rd links look like they would be the closest to the bike keeping it away from trees but also I could imagine it being harder to view due to the lack of movement (the 3rd probably would be easier).

I would like to hear your opinions and hear what has worked for you. I don't mind spending a little more for something that will be quality.

Thanks,
-Nick

Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm a fan of the RAM mounting system in the last two links. I think the difference between the two is the length of the arm. They make plastic and metal arms - I recommend metal for strength. I've used the system on snowmobile, 4 wheeler, mountain bike, and on the KLX. My gps is a Garmin GPSmap 76, which has a larger profile so more likely to snag up. It's been wacked many times and have only had one break, and that was a couple weeks ago when the bike went flippity on some rocks. The part that broke was the base where it mounts - the ball broke off. If something had to go, that was a good piece to break. I also use the Double Take mirror with ram mount and its taken some good hits to with no damage except a scuff on the mirror. The ram system will 'slip' when hit and absorb impact. And it gives you great flexibility on visibility angle (e.g. I move it around depending when on roads or trail, and when it's really important to see the gps or just tuck it down low out of the way).

There you go...one opinion.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Last one (RAM) is the go. I have one. 12000+ km trouble free use riding on mixed terrain. Survived more than one off too.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the second to last one and it will move a bit on rough terrain so I think the last one (with the short arm) would be best.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

looks like the ram mount is the winner.

IDRIDR - I have never seen ones with metal arms, do you have a link? The ones I posted were plastic.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i got the ram mount heavy duty suction cup so i can use my gps in the truck too. i can quickly swap between the truck and each bike.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Masson
looks like the ram mount is the winner.

IDRIDR - I have never seen ones with metal arms, do you have a link? The ones I posted were plastic.
I bought most of my RAM equipment from GPS Discount, Inc. Authorized Garmin Lowrance Eagle Ram Dealer which provided metal arms. I didn't know about plastic until ordering my double take mirror, and they recommended metal Doubletake Mirror.

Ya, they move around a bit on rough terrain. Don't know if the short arm will help as I've never tried them.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw a nice DIY for a waterproof GPS mount somewhere.. I'll have to find it..

Last edited by Matasickle; 05-23-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I got 2 ram mounts on the Honda and one on the KLX. They all work perfect!

Name:  IMG00391-20110310-1250.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  79.5 KB

Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Those mounts do look sweet.. How do you waterproof those suckers?

Quick Reply: GPS Mount