GOT ONE! Hello from a noob.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GOT ONE! Hello from a noob.

Congrats noob! Don't forget to pack your TP and some wet wipes...the bike is the right size and has just enough power to get you on trails that will scare the sh*t out of ya!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Aboard,
Im sure you will enjoy your new bike! In regards to the MSF off road course, several years ago we had my daughter go through Hondas red rider school which I belive is also part of the MSF, I belive it really helped her quite a bit and now the she can almost out run me!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

No courses here, just ride,wreck,wrench,repeat....

Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! This is a great site! They even let you hang out here if you have moved on to a different bikeI keep comming back here because it's one of the more friendly sites.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Only one question so far:
Has anyone here taken or heard of the MSF "DirtCourse"? I'm wondering if I should take it, since Idon't know much about riding off road.
I took a MSF Dirt Bike course in August. Took it with a friend who wanted to take it as an initial step to bike familiarization and eventually getting licensed for the street (he ended up taking the MSF BRC a few weeks later) and another friend who just wanted to try out dirt bikes.

If you have street skills you will still learn something because the riding dynamics in the dirt are a bit different than on street.

If you have no skills then you're learning all the basics (doesn't apply to you).

I won't argue with IG with respect to getting out there on your own and learning things yourself but there's also nothing wrong with taking a formal class and being shown the basics. Different people learn skills different ways. You've indicated that you've owned several bikes so you already have a lot of general riding knowledge so you will probably do well on your own as IG has described.

The general argument for MSF courses applies: If you're self-taught you can still learn something because it's easy to get into bad habits which work but may not be optimal for the type of riding you intend to do. Up until that point my only dirt riding was on ATVs with no experience on a dirt bike so I thought I could learn something while spending time with friends: Made the time spent doubly worthwhile.

Ultimately, YMMV with respect to what you get out of the course. My friends and I had a fun time at it. This course was 4-hours or so in total with short classs sessions in between riding exercises...we never left the course; there was a tented area where we discussed techniques.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to have you aboard,now enjoy your new freedom to ride wherever(well if it's legal)

Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool, thanks for all the input y'all (yes, I'm from Texas). It's good to be "here". I'll let you know how my dirt skills go. For now I've just got to get this break-in period over with, can't wait to explore the more exciting parts of the powerband.

I'll probably keep it stock for a while due to lackof money (hey, at least I got the bike), my firstbuy will be one of those trailer hitch receiver mounted bike carriers, since most of the good dirtriding around here is a few hundred miles away. I go out to the Big Bend National Parkarea a few times a year and next time the bike is coming with me! I expect that my first ride report will be postedsometime late this winter or early spring. One of the nice parts about riding in Texas is that you can pretty much ride year round, as long as you can stand the summer heat with all that riding gear. I think I've cooked my brain a few times...

Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

If you need a pic or two of a klx,I'm sure deej can dig a few up to show you deej you know we love ya man

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

rule #1 do not ride alone.
rule #2 ride at your own pace
rule #3 drink water before and during a ride.
rule #4have fun
there's more but this will get you started. enjoy!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

If you can find an MSF course take it,you'll find some interesting info to try when your done

Quick Reply: GOT ONE! Hello from a noob.