Got my IMS tank installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Got my IMS tank installed!

After much procrastination, I finally got my new IMS 3 gallon tank installed today. Install was pretty easy, but I over tightened one of the fittings and split an o-ring. Fortunately it was on the larger fitting, and the old o-ring that was replaced by one that came with the new tank fit right over it and sealed it up. That was my only mishap.

One thing to watch out for with this tank, is if you over fill it, and then lean it too far, gas will come dumping out the vent tube. Learned this when I forgot I had my kickstand up moving it around in the garage, and almost dropped it. Leaned it pretty far over before I caught it, and when I straightened it back up, gas started gushing out the tube. No big deal, I probably shouldn't have filled it right to the very top.

Here is a picture:

Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn that's a good looking bike, well done on the color scheme, you nailed it. What paint do you use? I particularly like the only sticker being the new tank.
One of my old 1.1 gal tanks would look nice on that bike. That'd give you 4.1, enough for over 200 miles. Maybe I will make a batch during holiday weekends, it's too bad they cost me so much time.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I like it.. nice colors

Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bake
Damn that's a good looking bike, well done on the color scheme, you nailed it. What paint do you use? I particularly like the only sticker being the new tank.
One of my old 1.1 gal tanks would look nice on that bike. That'd give you 4.1, enough for over 200 miles. Maybe I will make a batch during holiday weekends, it's too bad they cost me so much time.
Thanks! The paint is Duplicolor spray-on bedliner. I'm not familiar with the 1.1 gal tanks, but sounds interesting!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Yeah, it would look pretty sweet with darkened lights on the tail end. Wonder how much they reduce visibility...

Old 09-27-2011, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
I like it.. nice colors
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
Yeah, it would look pretty sweet with darkened lights on the tail end. Wonder how much they reduce visibility...
Not much i have seen cars with that stuff on. It almost makes no difference.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Very sweet bike! Does everyone get their IMS tanks directly from IMS or can you get it from a distributor? Also I see you have the rear rack that is sold on ebay. How do you like it? Im thinking of getting one for mine.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
Another option for the blacked out lights is this:

VHT Nite-Shades tinted black out paint. 10 bucks at your local auto parts store.

I blacked out the tail light and turn signals on my black SF. Didn't reduce visibility too much, I don't think. You vary the darkness by how many coats you apply.

Name:  IMG_0526.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  51.4 KB

Quick Reply: Got my IMS tank installed!