got my HMF installed....with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default got my HMF installed....with pics

Okay, since I couldnt find any decent install pics heres mine. First off this WILL NOT bolt up as is out of the box without serious interferance with the rear fender. It doesnt just rub, it has to mash against the fender just to get to the bolt hole. HMF definately could fix this by chaning the brackets design/location/thickness...etc

I went to sears hardware and bought a 1" spacer and a M8x60 bolt (approx 1.125" longer than stock) to space this away from the fender.

This 1" spacer provided a 3/8" space between the muffler and fender, so by that you can tell it would have never fitted properly without the spacer.

Oh and the best pic of all....this is for you Muzzy fans that get tired of hearing about how the footpeg rubs the pipe....well it does it on the HMF too

I guess I will keep it since I was able to make it work. Just remember guys.....1" spacer and an M8x60 bolt.

I will post some more pics this weekend of all the mods done to date, my new pro-taper handlebars are on the fedex truck along with some other stuff.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: got my HMF installed....with pics

That pipe does look sweet though!!

I guess it now touches the foot peg due to the spacer..............

So either way it's not a perfectly clean install, but it's aftermarket after all.

I guess I'll be making my purchase soon, for some reason it looks super big in those pics. Nice!!

Let us know how it sounds in real life because according to the dyno's it's not far from stock, but I've heard here it is WAY louder than stock with quite core in.

Dave

Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Yup I havent started it yet, Im gonna sleep on it and decide if its a keeper or not. You think its gonna vibrate that much?

Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Its a nice looking pipe. Hows the fit with the side plate on ?

Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
you know muzzy makes a slip on right? ebay has them for a little over $200.
I thoughtthe pipecame up an inch or so short????

Man, I don' know what to do now...........all this stuff is so subjective and objective at the same time.
Exhausts, tires,mirrors, hanguards.............nothing is as it seems and everything seems to have it's downfalls.
I'm just leaving my bikelike it is so far and that's that. STOCK FOR LIFE!!!!!

Dave

Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: JB1

Yup I havent started it yet, Im gonna sleep on it and decide if its a keeper or not. You think its gonna vibrate that much?

they don't call them thumpers for nothin. sure it vibrates. why do you think our bolts came out of our big gun pipes? it is my opinion that you need it mounted to something more rigid than that spacer. to the actual frame i'd say. maybe the spacer will hold it if the bolt is long enough, but still, it's just the idea. how much money did you spend on that thing? and then YOU had to mod it to make it work. that don't fly with me when we're talking that amount of money on such an intricate part of your bike. that my friend is just throwing something together and not caring if it is gonna fit or not. no quality control whatsoever.
word.....x1000000000000000

Old 03-03-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

The Muzzy slip on requires a KLX 300 headpipe to fit. They are about $15 on e-bay for the headpipe.

Quick Reply: got my HMF installed....with pics