Got the 351 kit installed! But I have a slight oil leak..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

make sure its not coming from the upper banjo bolt connection. Did you get a new copper washer, or anneal the old one?
Just thinking out loud.
Dan

Old 06-25-2011, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all of the support guys. I'm really stumped with this one and have even called Bill about it. The bike is running perfectly, no smoke whatsoever is coming out of the exhaust. I didn't end up doing the cam chain mod because I don't want to be the first one to do it being that it was the first time I had ever taken a motor apart. Is there some kind of o-ring or gasket that the plug tube is situated on? Maybe that's the problem. Something should be noted - I didn't have a 8mm hex head so I had my friend who has rebuilt many engines tighten down the bolts by feel without using the torque wrench. I went out tonight and bought the 8mm hex head. The rings and piston were installed properly and the timing was great. I didn't check valve clearance because I didn't have any feeler gauges. The only thing that I think it could be is if oil is dripping down directly from the valve cover gasket behind the spark plug wire. I don't think this is the case but I'm not positive. One thing to note is that the bike was running very rich, as I just installed a dyno kit with 132 main and dyno needle, clip down 4th from the top. Not sure if this would have any effect. When I start the engine, it almost has a tiny stutter and then turns over easily afterwards and starts right up. Almost like the starter has a hard time turning over the crank because of the higher compression.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
make sure its not coming from the upper banjo bolt connection. Did you get a new copper washer, or anneal the old one?
Just thinking out loud.
Dan
What exactly is the upper banjo bolt connection? I'm not sure what copper washer you are talking about either, unless you are talking about the copper washer between the exhaust header and the engine. Anyways, I didn't replace anything within the engine other than what Bill sent me along with the smog plate.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
You know what,,,, lets start with the simple things first. you say you had oil all over because you flipped the bike over. take out the plug and clean the pocket first, then try it again, you might just have spilled oil into the pocket where the plug goes and the heat is boiling it up.
take a quick look first before you tear it all down.
does it run well???
I let the bike cool all the way down and then really rinsed it off good making sure there was no oil anywhere. I then let it run the oil started flowing again. The bike runs very well, aside from being a little rich(132 dyno main jet and clip down 4 notches from the top)

Old 06-25-2011, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
What exactly is the upper banjo bolt connection? I'm not sure what copper washer you are talking about either, unless you are talking about the copper washer between the exhaust header and the engine. Anyways, I didn't replace anything within the engine other than what Bill sent me along with the smog plate.
It's the connector for the oil line to the top end of the engine.
Sounds like a gasket leak somewhere, maybe the valve cover gasket ??

Old 06-25-2011, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

It's gotta be the valve cover gasket if the bike is running fine. There's nowhere else the oil would come from. Except it's still weird that it's bubbling from the spark plug area. Did the spark plug have the metal ring washer?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

let it cool down and then take the plug out. get a clean rag and stick it down the spark plug "well". use a screwdriver to run it all around, if you have some handy, use brake clean or some other solvent and get ALL the oil out of the plug well. then start over again and see what happens.
There COULD be a very fine steam of oil coming from the banjo bolt if it is leaking. It is under high pressure and you may not be seeing the very small high pressure stream of oil with your "naked eye". use clean rags and feel around it for a leak while the bike is running.

Last edited by GaryC; 06-25-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you should check the valve cover gasket. It ins't a big deal to pull the tank and take the valve cover off. The bike would run very poorly if you had that much oil in the compression chamber. Before you run it anymore just pull it down till you see the problem, and go borrow a torque wrench, it does make a difference.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
It's the connector for the oil line to the top end of the engine.
Sounds like a gasket leak somewhere, maybe the valve cover gasket ??
I tried looking very closely at the valve cover gasket and didn't find anything. I'll have to check that connector out tomorrow when I take the tank off.

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
It's gotta be the valve cover gasket if the bike is running fine. There's nowhere else the oil would come from. Except it's still weird that it's bubbling from the spark plug area. Did the spark plug have the metal ring washer?
I didn't see a metal ring washer. It probably just stuck and didn't fall out. I did put a new plug in though. On a side note, the bike runs very, very well. I can roll 1/4 throttle in first or second gear and the bike wont stay down. However, it runs very poorly through the gears and is kind of gut less. I think it's still too rich with the 132 dyno main and needle with clip 4th notch down from the top. I live in Ohio and it's 900 ft average above sea level.

Originally Posted by GaryC
let it cool down and then take the plug out. get a clean rag and stick it down the spark plug "well". use a screwdriver to run it all around, if you have some handy, use brake clean or some other solvent and get ALL the oil out of the plug well. then start over again and see what happens.
I will definitely give this a try tomorrow. I hope it's not something broken that I have to order and replace(no local shops stock anything for my bike around here). Does that plug well have a o-ring or washer or anything that seals it off?

Last edited by jhoffy22; 06-25-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

jhoff, if you're not sure what copper washer that Dan is referring to on the oil line, then there may be a problem. You had to disconnect the oil line to do this job. Those washers on the oil line are critical.

Did you do this job or did someone help you? Did you torque the head/cylinder bolts with a torque wrench?

Quick Reply: Got the 351 kit installed! But I have a slight oil leak..