Good starter bike??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
If you are looking for a great dual purpose bike, ...

...In my opinion, don't get her just a dirt bike, especially since you already have a dual sport. You want to be able to take both bikes anywhere.
That's some pretty good advice.

When I first started reading, I thought to ask the question dirt-only or dual-sport? I just assumed by the direction of the thread that dirt-only was the intention.

Now you're back to the XT or CRF230L type bikes.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I was kinda thinking just dirt because of the thought of her on the road with the idiot drivers we have around here and how many times I get cut off and have to lock the bike up. But that is a good point where I have the dual sport it would probably be no time before she wanted to hit the streets with me too. Is the XT 225 a pretty good size? Hight wise and weight?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

theres no way in he!! i would let my gf ride a bike on the road. And we dont even have traffic up here.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
I was kinda thinking just dirt because of the thought of her on the road with the idiot drivers we have around here and how many times I get cut off and have to lock the bike up. But that is a good point where I have the dual sport it would probably be no time before she wanted to hit the streets with me too. Is the XT 225 a pretty good size? Hight wise and weight?

I have an '06 XT 225. From your description, she should fit on it pretty well.

And while it's no powerhouse, it's a pretty decent little trail bike. Obsolete suspension, but it's fairly light and nimble.

Mine wheelies really well! All stock, just pulled the cap off the idle mixture screw and adjusted it. That's it. Runs pretty well.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll throw this out only because nobody else has so far. How about a TW200? Lots of MS course operators use them because they're so user friendly. Those fat tires and low height seem to inspire confidence in newbies.

Old tech for sure, but their owners sure seem to love them. When I got my '07 KLX my GF, who had always wanted to learn to ride a dirt bike but never had the chance convinced me to give her a lesson or two. Long story short the KLX was just too much ground clearance, engine and balance. After the second time she dumped it in the front yard she decided to get her own ride and picked the TW. She loves it, feels comfortable on it and as a result wants to ride whenever she can. Something to be said for that.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya I had forgot about the old TW's a friend of mine used to have one of those back in the day

Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah the reason I didn't mention the TW200, while a great crawler with the over sized tires, is that its really a stiff bike with no adjustment on the rear suspension. The one I rode several times that a friend owns is a 2004 and is stiff as a board, the rear shock is not adjustable. You could put a ton of weight on it and it barely compresses the shock. If they did change that and the new ones have an adjustable shock, or if you can replace it with one that is then it actually wold be a great choice. The TW200 is really stable on gravel with its more square inch to travel surface. The motor is almost a clone of the XT225, with the exception of the choke on the 200 down on the carb and on the 225 its a pull up by the handle bars. another good choice that I should have talked about is the XT 250 which seemed to have replaced the 225. I've seen a couple of them in town and in fact I know a guy that has one here. another thing to consider is seat height.

Yamaha XT 250 31.9
Yamaha XT 225 31.9
Yamaha TW 200 31.1

Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I still say weight is going to be a huge factor in the choice you make. All the dualsports are near the 300 pound mark. Will she be able to pick it up if (WHEN) she tips it over? I am still strongly suggesting the 125-150 size bikes.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
I still say weight is going to be a huge factor in the choice you make. All the dualsports are near the 300 pound mark. Will she be able to pick it up if (WHEN) she tips it over? I am still strongly suggesting the 125-150 size bikes.
Ya I can't see her being able to pick up a 300lb bike and yes the fall will come. I have yet to make my decission but between her inexperience, weight, and the other people on the road I think I might start her off on something smaller and just off road for now. Probably look for something cheaper for now cause she will probably not be to kind to it learning to drive. Then upgrade to dual sport if she thinks she is going to like it. Thanks for everyones input and if there are some more good choices that have not been mentioned in the smaller cc's keep them coming