Good stand/lift/jack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Good stand/lift/jack?

Since I plan on doing a good portion of my own maintenance I guess I should get a moto stand/lift/jack/scissor jack/whatever you call it. I know what makes a good car jack but a cycle is a different beast. Anybody find a good one..where..what did you pay? The ones on fleabay don't look too bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Good stand/lift/jack?

Most discount auto parts stores have them for under 2 bills and they work fine.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 AM

That does look like a cool stand. I got mine at Harbor Fright. It was on sale for around $50.00

It works great for several of my bikes but its not perfect. It is fine on the KLX but it would be hard to work on the rear shock because it sets on the jack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2792

Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally I have the $80 Craftsman atv/mc lift. It raises up pretty high but with the shape of the KLX frame you need to order the additional spacers to get the front wheel off the ground..........or do like I did, just slap a length of 2x4 on the cross bar in the front with some bolts sticking through to keep it in place. Works good for getting the bike up high enough so I'm not totally stopped over for valve adjustments or carb tinkering but for the most part it really wasn't required. Although it was nice to have a stand to keep the bike off the concrete for the winter.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

You guys must have the light duty lifts,mine will lift 2000lbs and dont know of a bike that weighs that much,but it works for changing small car tires. Mine will lift around 30inches high and has adjustable pads. I believe the one I have is actually a truck tranny jack but they look the same.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 AM

Mine goes up 16" and will get both wheels off the ground. If you use some 2x4's like Bryan suggested it would go even higher. It's good for 1500 pounds, enough for any bike. It's only $50.00!

Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I think that's the one I have. It's a decent lift, but certainly not "professional grade". Since I can't remember exactly where I got mine, the only advice I can give is to measure from the floor to the bottom of the bike BEFORE you buy a lift. I was bidding on a lift on Ebay, and it happened to be a couple of inches taller than the bike's minimum clearance. Luckily, someone outbid me at the last second. The lift I have now will JUST slide under the engine if I hold the bike straight up.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:41 AM

You can tell the difference when you compare it to a $200.00 + lift but it still gets the job done. Most of the stuff from Harbor Freight is not really professional grade but it works just fine in a home shop. I have one about 4 miles form my house so, my shop looks like I should own stock in the company.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the craftsman professional atv/motorcycle jack about 150 bucks, it's a better quality jack than the cheaper craftsman model. Pick it up at any sears store.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. Looks like the Harbor freight and lower end craps-man are on sale for the same price. Back in the day I would say the crapsman wins hands down, but that was a long time ago.

hokie01 - I thought about a tranny jack...any issues and where did you get yours from?

Quick Reply: Good stand/lift/jack?