good place for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default good place for parts?

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a cheap site to replace the carb boot clamp on my bike, over tightened it and now its all messed up...
Thanks

Old 05-27-2013, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I've bought part from here before...
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/
The problem is all these places charge an arm and leg for shipping. So don't forget to call your local dealer, even with their inflated prices it still may be cheaper without the shipping.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Don't replace that airbox to carb boot clamp with the OEM unit. It's a piece of trash. Get a stainless steel, quality, radiator hose clamp from an auto parts store that's about the same size. That's what I did. The stock stuff is cheesy tin metal.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

What TNC said.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Don't replace that airbox to carb boot clamp with the OEM unit. It's a piece of trash. Get a stainless steel, quality, radiator hose clamp from an auto parts store that's about the same size. That's what I did. The stock stuff is cheesy tin metal.
Probably a lot cheaper too! thanks, didn't even consider that!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 AM
AZR
1st Gear Member

This place has cheap shipping (relatively) but it can take a long time to get parts. Good for little stuff.
Partzilla.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki Polaris, Suzuki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP

Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC

Be careful with rad clamps. The stock clamp has a rolled (soft) edge on the engine side the other side doesn't seem to have a lip. This lip keeps the clamp from cutting the boot. A stronger clamp can apply to much force and can squish/cut the boot allowing an air leak. Your bike will run like crap and you will have to use the choke to get it home at least I did almost 20 years ago on my trx250x. Use the OEM clamp and snug it properly. I've never had a problem and I've removed/swapped the carb numerous times now. 12,000+ miles and only 1 zip-tie has broken through no fault of my own.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMonsta
Be careful with rad clamps. The stock clamp has a rolled (soft) edge on the engine side the other side doesn't seem to have a lip. This lip keeps the clamp from cutting the boot. A stronger clamp can apply to much force and can squish/cut the boot allowing an air leak. Your bike will run like crap and you will have to use the choke to get it home at least I did almost 20 years ago on my trx250x. Use the OEM clamp and snug it properly. I've never had a problem and I've removed/swapped the carb numerous times now. 12,000+ miles and only 1 zip-tie has broken through no fault of my own.
Well, yeah, of course don't overtighten it. Don't you use a torque wrench when tightening all boot clamps?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well, yeah, of course don't overtighten it. Don't you use a torque wrench when tightening all boot clamps?

The initial post states that the user overtightened the clamp causing a premature failure. Therefore replacing the clamp with an improper part that is meant to withstand more force could result in the end user repeating their mistake or possibly exceding the limitations of the maiting part.

A hard learned lesson in my younger years is that you don't fix a mistake with an even worse one. Feel free to push your bike home if you want I've done it and it sucks.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:10 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMonsta
The initial post states that the user overtightened the clamp causing a premature failure. Therefore replacing the clamp with an improper part that is meant to withstand more force could result in the end user repeating their mistake or possibly exceding the limitations of the maiting part.

A hard learned lesson in my younger years is that you don't fix a mistake with an even worse one. Feel free to push your bike home if you want I've done it and it sucks.
Apparently my attempt at humor was lost in the process. But...I still stand by the fact that the OEM clamp is junk. The carb to manifold clamp on the other hand is much more robust.

Quick Reply: good place for parts?