Good news and bad news

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Good news and bad news

Talked to the mechanic today. The good news is, he said the valves looked great, they were still in spec and looked like they'd be good to go for quite a while still. Said there wasn't a speck of dirt up there, either. He could tell I ride alot of streets I've got 9000 miles on it. I guess since I never ring the neck of the bike, I rarely rev it past 7K, I've been good to it.

Bad news is, the cam cover gasket was indeed shrunken and junk He said he tried and tried but it wouldn't go back, even tried glueing it. He said he's never seen a gasket do that before, they usually don't deform. Had to order me a new one (more money I don't have). So it'll be next week before he gets the gasket and the bike back together.

He also said he's not a fan of DynoJet stuff... he'd recommend I put the stock needle in. What do you guys think? He said the DJ stuff isn't hardened metal and has the tendancy to wear out, which might be why my bike is hard to start hot (or because I'm too rich). What do you guys think? Should I put the stock needle in? Or get the N1TC needle? I'm running the stock pilot... should I screw in the A/F screw maybe? Its too rich in low RPMs based on my feel and riding it (and the difficulty starting it hot).

Maybe start by screwing in the A/F screw a bit, see if its better? Then go for a different needle? I wanna keep the 128 main... or should I put in the 124?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Don't listen to that guy, my shop is top notch, and that's what they put in my bike. The guy that did all my work is also a racer, if it wasn't a good idea he would have told me.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

So stick with the DJ needle and screw in the A/F screw half a turn maybe?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Your shop guy is dumb and mis-informed about the jet kit.

And are you talking the valve cover gasket?? That should not shrink. He probably ripped it taking it apart and is feeding you a BS story.

I've re-used mine about 4 times now with no probs. A little RTV and it's leak-free.

I'd get a shop manual, or a new shop

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I've read somebody else on here (JE maybe?) said that his camcover gasket shrank and he couldn't get it back on, so I'm not gonna call BS on that. As for the jet kit, I was kinda leary when he said to put the stock stuff in. I think he's not familiar with how lean and mis-jetted this bike is stock. I can understand that the fact I've got it jetted too rich may be hurting my starting, but throwing the horrid stock jet and needle back in can't be the answer.

I've got the Kawasaki shop manual. Valves were just out of my league. But since he says they're still in good spec I won't have to worry about this for a while, and uh, I guess I'll just pull the cover myself and check them myself next time instead of paying him to say "Yeup its good" that's the only thing pissing me off. I'm gonna pay an hour's worth of shop time plus for a new gasket for somebody to say "Yeah it looks good."

Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Cliffsta-

I'm running the exact same setup as you on the DJ kit. 128 Main, stock pilot, and 2.25 turns. Mine runs perfect. I think they are all a little hard to start when hot. I've stalled mine on the trail and it takes 10 or 15 seconds to get it started but it hasn't been a problem. The big problem for me was when it was 20-30 degrees out.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Well last weekend it flooded when I crashed and it would NOT restart for like an hour. Weekend before that, it was real hard to get going just after stopping. I'm riding in 90-degree temps... I'm thinking I've just got it too rich, particularly at idle. Idle A/F is controlled by the screw, correct? Or the needle?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Well last weekend it flooded when I crashed and it would NOT restart for like an hour. Weekend before that, it was real hard to get going just after stopping. I'm riding in 90-degree temps... I'm thinking I've just got it too rich, particularly at idle. Idle A/F is controlled by the screw, correct? Or the needle?
Yeah, the CVK isn't easy to flood, but once it's flooded it can take awhile before the fuel dissapates enough to start.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
Cliffsta-

I'm running the exact same setup as you on the DJ kit. 128 Main, stock pilot, and 2.25 turns. Mine runs perfect. I think they are all a little hard to start when hot. I've stalled mine on the trail and it takes 10 or 15 seconds to get it started but it hasn't been a problem. The big problem for me was when it was 20-30 degrees out.
I ride 10 to 45 oC, never had a hot start problem.

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Idle fueling is a crossover of the pilot jet and the fuel screw. Too rich, adjust the fuel screw or get a smaller pilot jet, or a combo of both.

Originally Posted by tremor38
Yeah, the CVK isn't easy to flood, but once it's flooded it can take awhile before the fuel dissapates enough to start.
I'm not running the airbox lid! When she floods, just drain the carb' bowl and you on your way again in less than a minute.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Would a too-rich A/F screw be the cause of difficulty starting when hot? How does one drain the carburetor bowl? I'm running the stock pilot jet, so all I can figure is my main jet is too big or the A/F is too rich. The needle is on the middle clip.

Quick Reply: Good news and bad news