Good extra fuel options after the Clarke/IMS tank has run dry

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Good extra fuel options after the Clarke/IMS tank has run dry

I have been getting 62MPG pretty consistenly. I have the Clarke 2.8 Gallon tank. Today and did maximum range test. Mail got me 149 miles and reserved took me to 169, an extra 20 miles before it ran out.

I have a couple 1 Liter camping bottles made out of aluminum strapped to my back rack. The more I use them, the less I like them. I have rediscovered my distaste for bare aluminum with any vibration. These things create tons of dark grey "dust" that is a real mess to clean up. The fuel bottle dent pretty easy but, they have proven durable enough.

I'm not a fan of the soda pop bottle option. I'm not going to spend $250 for a .4 Gallon increase an IMS tank would give me. I haven't found any plastic fuel carriers that are appropirate. Short of fabbing something for a leaky 1 gallon Wal-Mart special, what fuel bottle/tank options should I consider?

THANKS!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe a good prep on the Aluminum followed by some powder coating would be the ticket. they shouldn't be banging on anything though, Especially metal. The pro tanks are all about the mounting. Check out this Sampson site. http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/fuel-cells.html

Attached Thumbnails Good extra fuel options after the Clarke/IMS tank has run dry-side-cell1-r.jpg  

Last edited by gerrynolan; 08-15-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I've seen a mod on the Japanese DTracker bikes where they relocate the expansion tank into the space directly behind the left radiator. I think if you do this mod and purchase a spare expansion tank, you could run with the spare fuel in the one at the rear of the bike. Plumb some extra fuel hose to the reserve part of the tank hose with a T-piece. Worth a try. Very neat and tidy too.

http://www.batta8491.com/klx.html

Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

What about those tanks that mount over the front number plate? I was looking at one to use if I ran the GNCC, then I found out that they aren't legal for competition. Still though, that would be a good place to mount some spare fuel. You could even just buy a barrel bag for over the plate and put your fuel bottles in the bag, that way they wouldn't be rubbing on anything. Just a thought, hope it helps!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I hadn't considered the bag over the number plate idea. The only things that causes me to pause and think about it is mounting the weight up high, though a 1/2 gallon of gas isn't that heavy.

After thinking about this some last night, I think I need to look for some painted fuel bottles to cut down on the mess. The vibration from the motorcycle is going to cause the dark grey dust unless I wrap my current bottles in a towel or something similar.

I also ran into a Touratech mount for the bottles but, they need a flat surface to mount too (like pannier cases) and seem to be sized only for the 0.5L bottles? That seems really silly on a big twin GS but, it might work on a little better on the 250cc ride I have.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMonsta
That's some cool S@#t.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the Kolpins look cool and all, but they leak like a seive if you don't mount them vertically.

Check this out. I couple of people I know who do a lot of off road riding use these Platypus bladders for extra fuel. They are marketed to hold water, but hold fuel just fine. They are tough as an old boot...three layers thick! You can fill them full of fuel and throw them against a wall and they won't leak a single drop. A fellow at the ThumperTalk KLX forum -Bill P I believe is his forum name- said he has had one full of fuel in his garage for over a year. He roughs it up and throws it around every once in a while and nary a drop. If you use them they collapse nicely, so you can tuck them away somewhere for the rest of the ride.

http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_platyp...er_bottle.html

Old 08-16-2008, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback on the water bladders. I saw a MSR Cordura covered one yesterday and wonder how well it would work. It looks like that might be a better option for me.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had good luck with used oil bottles one full bottle 1 qt gives me about 15-18 more miles in range. just strap it on the rack mine has never leaked ,,it holds up well to gas I have test it for up to 2 weeks with out the bottle breaking down. If you dont like riding with your home made bomb just go 20 miles and dump in your tank. Water bottles and soda bottles turn to goo in a short while. Loggers out here in the northwest have been using oil jugs and prestone antifrezee bottles for there chain saw gas.

Last edited by tbav8or; 08-16-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Good extra fuel options after the Clarke/IMS tank has run dry