Going into storage soon, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Going into storage soon, suggestions?

Do you guys wipe down your bike for storage. I mean do you put any wax on the rims? and leave it on or oil them to be taken off in the spring?

Suggestions?? Wax?

Thanks

Stashu

Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

dont forget to turn off the gas! trust me, i speak from experience.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

wax on the rims? umm.... why? Wipe down the bike... -you mean clean your bike? Yes - that's basic "take care of your ****" 101.

For winter storage, I'd say change your oil and antifreeze, put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and then run your bike around for 10 minutes. Turn the petcock off and let the engine run the carb dry. Then disconnect the battery and bring it to a place it can't freeze, and put a battery tender on it. That should do it. If you have a bike stand I'd put it up on that.

After you do these things, then you can wax your rims. And armor all your tires. And file the nicks off of your kickstand. And wipe down the inside of your taillight lens. And finally, to finish it all up, Take your whole chain apart, polish all the pins and plates and check the o-rings for wear.
That should do it.

; )
have fun
~Steve

Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

AND you must make sure you do all those mandatory mods such as a 351 kit, new exhaust, jetting, and what ever your heart desires lol

Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Stabil and a battery tender for me, but I will fire the bike up and ride it on and off all winter as I like riding in the snow.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Question about storage: For the warm months, I'd like to keep it in a little area attached to the back of my house. Thing is, the door is only 29 inches wide. Do you guys think I'll be able to wiggle her in there without too much of a hassle, or am I gonna have to do some alterations?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the basement door I bring mine through. Take the mirrors off and have at it; with the bike leaned over and at a steering lock the bars will squeek through. Once the bars are through it's as good as in. Back it in and go out forwards OR go in forward and back it out, think about it.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply, ol'klx-er. I was thinking I would back it in and go out forwards out. How easy do the mirrors come off? Would it be worth getting some of the fold able mirrors if I'm taking it in/out every day?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're doing it everyday, yes foldable would make life easier. Google "double take mirrors". These will also save your mounts in the event of a spill.
Not sure what year you have , mine is '09, I think the earlier ones are the same. Both are normal thread (RH), loosen the nut with a 14 mm (9/16 will work but is a bit sloppy, not recommended if the nut is really tight), then unthread counterclockwise.