GODZILLA put on my sprocket nut !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure that flange is completely flat. Use an old bolt and use the head to have a larger surface area to flatten with. Then use an impact wrench of considerable power and have the bike in first gear. And use a 1 1/16" socket vs. 26mm, it fits better.

Thats what I did to get mine loosened.
________
Creampie wife

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Question concerning 13 tooth sprocket. Do you need to do anything to the chain? Does a link need to be removed to shorten it or lengthen it to fit the new ratio?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

No, just remember when removing or adding links, you need to remove them in even numbers. 2 links is the least that can be removed

Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a floor jack in your garage? If so and it is one with a big pump handle on it remove the handle and slide over breaker bar! You would be surprised what 3 to 4 feet of leverage will do to a stuck bolt or nut. I had to use mine and will again if I have to take my 13t off of my 300

Dennis

Old 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

You have to flatten the spacer behind the nut Then it comes right off. Just make sure to bend it back when you put it back together.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Back in the day....almost 3 years ago now, I had the wife sit on the bike with the rear brake on and it was in 1st gear, and the nut came right off. Sounds like there is no consistency with these bikes.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

agreed with deej,, my lil brother sat on my back with the brake in. Nut came right off

I hope you get it off soon bro

Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah. . . and be sure to put anti-seize compound on the threads before reinstalling the nut! I use anti-seize on all large nuts and any other fasteners that are likely to regularly get wet. . . .
I also torque ALL fasteners to published specs. . . .

Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

AH. the rear break idea sound good. I tried the jack handle on a 24 inch breaker bar with a 1 1/6 socket.

Part of the problem was that any headway I thought I was making was just from the tire turning. Even (almost) tried puttng a bar throught the spokes to hold the tire, then I thought Deej and his oiless startup and thought, hmmmm do I really want to top that??

I'll try the brake. If that don't work it's off to lowes for a new pop gun.

And I thought this was going to be a cheap mod........... Guess again BUCKO!!

The GOOD news is that I snagged a set of Renthal bars with bark busters already on them for $26.00.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
AH. the rear break idea sound good. I tried the jack handle on a 24 inch breaker bar with a 1 1/6 socket.

Part of the problem was that any headway I thought I was making was just from the tire turning. Even (almost) tried puttng a bar throught the spokes to hold the tire, then I thought Deej and his oiless startup and thought, hmmmm do I really want to top that??

I'll try the brake. If that don't work it's off to lowes for a new pop gun.

And I thought this was going to be a cheap mod........... Guess again BUCKO!!

The GOOD news is that I snagged a set of Renthal bars with bark busters already on them for $26.00.
In a pinch, if you don't have anyone to man-up the brake. Deflate the rear tire, insert the approprate width of board -maybe a 2x4- between the forward part of the swingarm and tire, then re-inflate.

Quick Reply: GODZILLA put on my sprocket nut !!