Getting a VeeStrom 650

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

No doubt the Strom is a pretty big bike. I does have more room in the cockpit than the Versys in general. The new 2012 Strom though is better in that it is big but has a bit more Versys feel with a narrow dash. It is an improvement. But not enough for me to spend $3500 more. I don't suspect that my WeeStrom will get dirty but it may see some dirt roads.

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
If I hadn't already done so much to my KLR650, I'd seriously consider a WeeStrom. I'd also go with the 650, as I don't ride two-up, and a 650 has plenty of pull for me. I mean, do I really need a bike that will do well over 100 mph? I guess it depends upon how fast "they" are chasing me...but, I digress.

I THINK the Strom has a bit more leg-room than a stock Versys. The DR650 is much more of an off-road bike than the Strom, and just a bit more off-road than the KLR.

Best of wishes on your new bike!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

One of my buddy's is a suspension expert (he patented the multilink suspension that Suzuki came out with in the 1970's), and he is appalled at the poor quality of the BMW 800. Not just poor suspension components/setup, but, the overall bike. Just saying to those considering that bike: make sure it's built well enough for you if you buy one.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been eyeing the VeeStrom (1000) personally, but then I realized I'd rather spend the money on the bike I really want next -- a Tiger 800XC.

I know a lot of people with the Wee's and they love it. A friend in SoCal has one that has 100k miles on it (all his), and he's just now thinking about selling it for a fresh one.

Rob

Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
I've been eyeing the VeeStrom (1000) personally, but then I realized I'd rather spend the money on the bike I really want next -- a Tiger 800XC.

I know a lot of people with the Wee's and they love it. A friend in SoCal has one that has 100k miles on it (all his), and he's just now thinking about selling it for a fresh one.

Rob
If money were no object me I would be riding a Tiger 800XC myself.
The WeeStrom is for sure a price point bike for me. If I were buying new...

I have seen a lot of these bikes getting 100k. If I ride the pig and like it than I still have enough left over to get a toy bike. That is the Plan.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, same reason I don't have one yet. $12k for the bike itself and another $3-4k for accessories. Besides, all my free money (of which there is currently none) will be going towards a snowmobile for this Winter. I'm not sitting out another winter, dammit.

So maybe next spring I'll figure something out in that respect. In the meantime, my DR650 serves that purpose reasonably well.

Rob

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Looks like they stole the front fender from a BMW, but it is a great looking machine. Oh and Stephen......

hehehehehe

Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I wanted to pay cash too. Now I am in about 10k in bikes. If I sell the KLX and Ninja that would free up some cash. I may have to wait for the spring rush. Not a huge deal.

Pics when I get home with it on Thursday!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

see if you can find a used ktm 640 adventure

Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The good the bad and the ugly -WeeStrom report

I picked up my used Wee yesterday. I bought it site unseen from a guy 400 miles away.

I took a greyhound bus and that was a first for me and a bit of an adventure in itself.

Transaction went smooth and I picked up the bike and found a hotel in Bozeman Montana. Ate at a BBQ place and it was darn good. BBQ brisket. Hmmm. Nice dark local beer too.

The bike. The bike looked good but not great. I am super **** about that stuff but I guess a bit of a risk taker based on how I buy bikes! Bought my Ninja the same way.

THE BAD: The only thing actually that disappointed me was there was a bit of corrosion from the bike sitting either in a barn/shed or maybe just stored away after riding it wet or after roads were salted etc.

It all turned out to be pretty superficial. I spent 6-7 hours detailing the bike today and it looks good. Aluminum cleaner really made the light oxidation very minor. I sprayed every fastener I could find with wd-40 too. To most people the bike will look almost new. I will snap some pics. Its a pretty metallic silver and nice looking.

MORE BAD: I bought the bike because it was a fair price for an ABS bike with only 1500 miles. Well the ABS light is on so it is not functioning. I suspect as above perhaps some oxidation on a connector.

THE GOOD: It sure does ride nice. Power is not over the top but it will carry on at 75-85 with little fuss for hours on end. Every once in a while I would get carried away in my thoughts to look down and see I was doing 90. Very happy with the highway capability. MPG even at that speed with lots of wind (riding sideways) was about 50 MPG. I am sure commuting the way I ride I will get 60. It came with a taller windshield which is effective but butt ugly and it will go.

THE UGLY: After spending about 7 hours cleaning the bike taking all the plastics off poilishing etc I put it in the garage for the night. I was just about to wrap it up and BAM it falls over. It hit my leg and knocked me over. I was just laying there thinking F**k. I could see the broken turn signal and god knows what else.

I finally get up and lift the bike and look over the damage. NOT BAD! I am impressed with the lack of damage. Not happy but impressed.
Turn signal, clutch lever and bar end bolt. A little nick on the bottom of the fork too. No plastics or anything really costly. Very lucky.

The kickstand on the bike is not great. when It locks down it does not engage forward enough and is easily pushed out of place. I am not sure what happened in this case but I think the stand was not fully engaged and I turned the wheel straight while standing next to it and it was all over.

I am ordering a center stand pronto. My Ninja 500 has one and I love it. I only use the side stand when I first get off.

A pretty good adventure all in all. I am happy with the bike. I posted on a Vstrom forum for some ABS help. Hopefully I can trace that down.

I have seen lots of guys with 100k on theirs and I plan on riding the bike into the ground.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 08-16-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting a VeeStrom 650