Getting a VeeStrom 650

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Getting a VeeStrom 650

I decided to upgrade my bikes. I have not used the KLX like it should be used. I have used it as a commuter and taken it on dirt roads just because I can.

I bought a Nina 500 and that fills the void for the highway miles and is a much nicer in that regard. I have been splitting the miles on them.

Neither bike is perfect for me. The Ninja really bothers a nerve in my neck (old injury) and the KLX gets to my low back after a couple days in a row of riding. No doubt the Seat concepts seat would help but I would still prefer another bike for the highway. Some days I am on the bike 75 miles going here and there for work.

Anyway, I found a nice Strom with about 1500 miles on it with ABS which is a feature I wanted for my commuting. Just can't hurt. The one I found is a 2007. They as some model year changes like ABS, longer wheelbase and twin plugs.

I looked at several other bikes but the strom is a proven work horse and I plan and riding it silly and racking up as many miles.

After the KLX sells and the Ninja, I will get a toy. That may be a Triumph Bonnie which I really like.

It may be next year before the other bikes sell since its getting late in the season for a lot of people.

Its been a great ride and you guys have been so helpful along the way.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Enjoy the Strom. It's a great miler - really comfy.

Good luck with the sale of the other bikes.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

So you're not gonna try out those GP1 tires for me are you? Let me know how the VeeStrom works our of you. I'm looking for a bigger displacement bike too. Leaning towards the DR650, but I need to ride one. Maybe the Versys, but I need to ride one. Maybe the KLR, but I rode one and it has some issues for me. Maybe something, dunno yet. Good luck with it.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

If I hadn't already done so much to my KLR650, I'd seriously consider a WeeStrom. I'd also go with the 650, as I don't ride two-up, and a 650 has plenty of pull for me. I mean, do I really need a bike that will do well over 100 mph? I guess it depends upon how fast "they" are chasing me...but, I digress.

I THINK the Strom has a bit more leg-room than a stock Versys. The DR650 is much more of an off-road bike than the Strom, and just a bit more off-road than the KLR.

Best of wishes on your new bike!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
So you're not gonna try out those GP1 tires for me are you? Let me know how the VeeStrom works our of you. I'm looking for a bigger displacement bike too. Leaning towards the DR650, but I need to ride one. Maybe the Versys, but I need to ride one. Maybe the KLR, but I rode one and it has some issues for me. Maybe something, dunno yet. Good luck with it.
I know I know. Then idea has been with me for a while. If the KLX does not sell for enough and the Ninja does I may just keep the KLX.

I looked at all the possible bikes and and thought about them over and over. I just knew and KLR would not satisfy be power wise and and I don't like the 2008+ look at all. I would rather have a Dr650 but I know that it too was not enough. Versys is cool. I thought a bit rough around the edges but super fun. The new NC700x is more refined but slower and not as much fun. It is a scooter after all

I almost went triumph out of the gate but I new that was not the smartest bike for my riding which will be snow in spring to snow in fall/winter.

The Strom is just a good bike. Maybe it will be a little boring but I am certain it will get me where I need to be. It is in the middle of the Versys and NC700x for fun. I actually think it is faster than the Versys but the Versys has a nice fat middle and it feels great.

In the end the Stom was also the only bike in the price range I could get ABS. I am paying 5k for an ABS bike with 1500 miles and that works for me.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

What do you think about the Honda Crossrunner (800cc) and Crosstourer (1200cc)? Seems like Honda is pushing this look.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I personally like the look. I like the cross runner better but the tourer is a lot nicer looking than most touring rigs. I like the look of the NC700x too. I like the bike really.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

if i were to go that route of the adventure bike i'd go bmw F800gs or R1200gs, ktm 990 adventure, or a ducati multistrada 1200s that just me though lol

Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

The reviews on them put them in between a touring bike and an adventure bike (for all the wannabees). Price will dictate which way many will go.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
if i were to go that route of the adventure bike i'd go bmw F800gs or R1200gs, ktm 990 adventure, or a ducati multistrada 1200s that just me though lol
All very cool bikes. I have heard mixed reviews with the F800gs electronics reliability however. For me it is also about $ and none of those are in my price range. Although I did see the Ducati locally but was pretty used.

Quick Reply: Getting a VeeStrom 650