Gear people pack for offroad rides?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I see many master links in your responses, but what about a chain break in case the chain breaks somewhere other than the master link? That and a few links of old chain would come in handy.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by scallen
I see many master links in your responses, but what about a chain break in case the chain breaks somewhere other than the master link? That and a few links of old chain would come in handy.
Assuming only one link breaks (never seen a chain break 2 at once) then you just put in a second master link to replace the broken one. In theory, there's nothing wrong with having 2 master-links in one chain, especially for a short duration. If the narrow section on either side of the break got buggered when it came apart, you might have to intentionally break off a second link to get a clean spot and then move the rear wheel up, but that's better than pushing all the way home. It's not the most common break anyway, probably just as handy to carry a spare brake lever or clutch lever... but you can ride without either of those and you can't w/o a chain... what's more the master link takes much less space to have on hand. I suppose you could keep a few extra regular links on hand if you wanted but then you'd need 2 master links to put them in. If i was gonna do that, I'd probably have 3 master links, and steal 3 narrow sections from excess on a new chain and then you could piece in however much got buggered I suppose.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Jackson, not to be a smart A$$, but "you might have to intentionally break off a second link to get a clean spot" without a chain break. I've had this happen out on the trail and couldn't have gotten to or cleaned up the chain to get to the narrow sections without one unless I had a hammer and a punch and a vice would come in handy too. Think about it. Yes you are right on the levers, and a shifter would be nice but like you say, you can't get out without a chain. That is, unless you have a buddy and a rope.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Yeh, and thats trying to be a minimalist.

Just wanna be prepared.
Did you see the "Miracles" show on ABC recently. That guy wasn't prepared. Lost a third of his body weight but made it out of the Great Sandy Desert in WA after 40 odd days. Mind boggling!

Any one not from Australia and wants to see what harsh terrain we have in some of the states deserts, have a look here.>>>http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/593763
Great show BTW. Well done ABC.

Anyone who hasn't heard the story before, "The Gunslinger" (WTF) will coach a smile from you on his entrance.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Did you see the "Miracles" show on ABC recently.
I did see it.
Mad as a cut snake. But he was tough.

Did you see the week before?