Gear people pack for offroad rides?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Whats a mater link? like tow mater from Cars?
Hey Eric you spelled master link wrong. hehehehehe (evil laugh)

Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm a fanny packer. In that fanny pack I always carry an expired driver's license to ID my dead or broken body. I carry a couple of granola bars. A gerber multi-tool like a leatherman, at least half a dozen zip ties. About 2 feet of fuel line for transfer of fuel. Most of the other tools I've already seen posted. Gotta have zip ties.

I do NOT carry anything for fixing flat tires off road. It's hard enough fixing flats in your garage. You don't need to worry about flats, ride it out flat. I've put over 70 miles on a flat tire with no problems. Yes, it makes the ride suck but it's not an emergency. Instead I use the ultra HD tubes and fill with slime to prevent flats.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on trailer park boys. Effing hilarious. My wife won't watch it though. I love the episode where J-Rock builds Julian a spoiler for his car out of hockey sticks HAHAHAHA!!

Do you know how to get to maclean? You could probably drive it, but will want to fuel up coming in and coming out especially on the stocker tank. Its 30 minutes from my doorstep so sometimes I'll ride it out, but it is a highway out there that can be scetchy at times. Once there there's tons you can find ranging from freakin brutal muskeg to nice dirt trails and lots of scenery.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

+1 on zip ties and riding a flat carefully.

I like a 1/4" drive stubby ratchet, 8" extension and 8,10,12 mm deep sockets. doesn't take much space and speeds pulling apart of many many things.
2-3' of 12 gauge wire and a few wire-nuts isn't the worst thing either, can be used to patch a bad wire, replace a bad fuse temporarily, tie something off, etc. small roll of electrical tape is kinda bulky, but nice in case you chafe a wire and get a short have to fix something, etc.

I also used to carry an extra connecting link for my chain, if you break a link it can replace it on the fly and doesn't take much space. I also like a headlamp just in case as emergency back-up if I'm out at night...

After that I start thinking about what would i want if I got stuck in the woods over-night, and that's more survival gear than repair kit, which is a different issue entirely.

Last edited by jacksonriding7; 07-09-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member

heres a link I'm also participating in! same topic

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=393971

Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 PM
JAC
1st Gear Member

Stellar: I want to head out there sometime soon. I'll probably ride out since that was the whole point of buying a bike that could be ridden on the street too. I'll fuel up as close as I can before going in and until I get the lay of the land and figure the area out, I'll probably pack fuel too. Reserve seems to kick in after about 165km of street riding and it'll probably be less off road. I'm looking for stuff more along the lines of nice dirt trails and roads.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  PICT0207.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  65.9 KB

In addition to what's in the picture, tyre levers (which are fixed under the seat) and some elastic cords.

Looks a lot but it all fits in the Wolfman Enduro tank bag and a small front fender bag.

Name:  PICT0205.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  67.0 KB

Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow Neil.. That is quite the kit...

... expired driver's license to ID my dead or broken body. I carry a couple of granola bars. A gerber multi-tool like a leatherman, at least half a dozen zip ties.

I do NOT carry anything for fixing flat tires off road. It's hard enough fixing flats in your garage...
+1 I rode several miles on a very flat rear... Sucks but it got me back.
"matches" something water proof...

I had a scare right after the BB kit, I thought the bike had a major malfunction and I was up in the mountians and it was about 20 minutes til sunset... Holy crap, it was gonna start getting cold and the bike died...

It turned out that it was out of fuel and the reserve got me just barely back to the car...

Now I always have water, 2 snack bars, copy of Lic. and Med card, matches, fire steel and a small zip lock with some vasiline soaked cotton. Armed with that, any moron, can start a fire - even me

Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAC
Stellar: I want to head out there sometime soon. I'll probably ride out since that was the whole point of buying a bike that could be ridden on the street too. I'll fuel up as close as I can before going in and until I get the lay of the land and figure the area out, I'll probably pack fuel too. Reserve seems to kick in after about 165km of street riding and it'll probably be less off road. I'm looking for stuff more along the lines of nice dirt trails and roads.
There is a Shell (I think, maybe Husky) right in Bragg Creek there which is about 5 minutes away from the entrance to MacLean. That place can be as easy going or hardcore as you want it to be. Just look out for wild horses...they'll kill ya

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
Wow Neil.. That is quite the kit...
Yeh, and thats trying to be a minimalist.

Just wanna be prepared.

Quick Reply: Gear people pack for offroad rides?