Gear for the NorthEast Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gear for the NorthEast Ride?

Hey guys what would everyone recommend for the NE ride that's being planned? I'm thinking gas can, front and rear tube, tire levers, air pump (manual but it works) and some tools (what would be a good trailride toolset?).

What about ride gear? I've got an mx helmet and goggles and a camelback resevoir but only have street protection gear with a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and matching pants, I typically wear steel toe boots when riding as I wear them at the office as well.

So, offroad protection, whats recommended as far as boots, armor, and gloves. The end of May is just barely getting warm up here near the Can. border, whats the weather typically in NJ?

Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Gear for the NorthEast Ride?

if i can find a ride ill be takin gloves and mx helmet
only need gear if ya wipe! lol

Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well when i went to Fl i took everything i thaught i might need, i brough my jack, all my tools. extra oil, chain wax, wd-40, riding jacket, gloves, helmet, mx boots, msr riding gear.... and alot of other stuff... gas can, camel bak...

Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 PM

I would bring a pair of extra boots if you can, even if they are not steel toe. I don't have MX boots, I typically just riding a pair of Gore-Tex hiking boots. They keep water out pretty well unless the water goes up and over [8D]. If there is any water at all where the ride will be, I can guarantee you that you will end up with a boot-full of water. I did every day in FL and had to get creative drying out my only pair of boots. I even singed them a little along with my gloves when drying them out at the campfire. I will go ahead and beat Eric to the punch and tell you all that he warned me about messing them up just minutes before I did that. [:'(]

Definitely bring a water bladder of some sort. I did not have one in FL and I wished I had. Eric had an extra but I forgot to take it. I have since purchased one.

Eric, do you expect there to be an enclosure to serve as a shop like we had in FL? I realize that you are arranging this in an area that you are not familiar with, but I thought I would ask.

I am toying with the idea of coming up. I already have plans for the Tour de Tellico on the weekend before, so I would have to choose. I hate having to choose! I want it all! [:@]

Old 02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Probably not for the enclosed tech area, looks like we will be staying ina plain campground with cabins.... so maybe someone can bring a carport, those are quick easy shelters... my dad has one i could probably borrow.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Not to worry about tubes, tools and air. I will be riding sweep, and I have the Ultimate set of tools.
www.blueridgeracing.com I also have a few spare shifters and levers on the way (we all us the same ones) We also have headsets so the lead and sweep have communication.

I would get a set of boots, Sidi Discovery, Gaerne Explorerand a cheap camel back/backpack from Wally.

Wewill have a large pop up for shelter if we errr..no brakes needs to work on a bike.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: plameau
We will have a large pop up for shelter if we errr..no brakes needs to work on a bike.
Have I been volunteered for something I'm not aware of?

Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i think he was just saying that you wrench on your bike alot....lol

Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ahh, Ok. No impromptu big bore upgrades out in the middle of nowhere in a campground with poor lighting, cold hands, and sand and dust blowing around, then huh? Because if that were the case, I would have to say ... BRING IT ON! [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif] [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-09-2007, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

http://newenoughmx.com/fox_6_tracker..._boot_page.htm I believe I'm going to get these boots, my local bike parts shop can order them in and I tried on a pair that had the mx sole and they were pretty comfy, well more so than I expected having never worn a pair of mx boots. I'm probably going to get a new set of handguards and bars, something with an aluminum backbone for the guards. Possibly a chest protector too as even though its not going to bea hardcore ride it doesn't take much of a spill to get messed up, I've already found that out before.