Gas Mileage After the Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gas Mileage After the Mods

Hey guys

Been a little while since I've been on and I wanted to know what type of gas mileage everyone was getting After you did the mods.I did mine about 3 weeks ago. I'm running a BG Exhaust, Opened screened in airbox with a K&N Filter, 128 main and 40 pilot, N1TC needle sitting on slot 3. I'm also running a Iridum plug. I'm at Sea level and the Bike seems to run Real Good with no starting issues and no real backfires / pops on decel.

Anyway I filled the tank right after I did the mods. I was out riding around yesterday and hit reserve at about 58 miles. I'm thinking wow, thats a Big lose. from about 78 mpg Stock to 58 mpg with the mods. Seemsa littleexcessive to me. I have Not pulled the plug yet to look at it.

So my question is what type of gas milage are you guys getting After you did your mods. I knew with the mods I would lose some, But 20 Mpg, Thats a Lot. Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year and Be Safe..................

LV

Old 12-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Gas Mileage After the Mods

Hey LV good to hear from you again. I really don't know what I got before the mods, but its safe to say we all got the same depending on how aggressive we ride. As far as the mileage after the mods, when I went on the poker run with Tony and Scott back in July, I filled up three times and got 60 mpg each timeexactly. I have the Full Muzzy, air box cover off, 132 and 40 jets and the 13-45 gears.Not sure where my needle is sitting since I didn't do the work, but I seem to remember somewhere it was on the 2nd notch. Saw it written somewhere on the paperwork.I wonder what the best we could get if we lugged it down the highway and didn't gun it up hills? But where is the fun in that right? Later man.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej

58, 60 mpg's are about the same so that sounds about right. Your running a 132 main. Isnt that a little rich bro. I was concerned the 128 would be too big but it seems to run real good. Oh ya. I'm also running a 13 tooth front sprocket.

LV

Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Hey Deej

58, 60 mpg's are about the same so that sounds about right. Your running a 132 main. Isnt that a little rich bro. I was concerned the 128 would be too big but it seems to run real good. Oh ya. I'm also running a 13 tooth front sprocket.

LV
To be honest I let the mechanic do the jetting for me, he also races, so I'm not sure about being too rich. Hey if it is too rich, I could probably tell from the plug right? And if its black and all sooty (is that a word)how would I tweak it so I was running less rich? Its getting all the air it can right now with the air box cover removed, would it have something to do with the needle position, or would I go to a 128? I really don't know or even pretend to know how all of it works. All I know is my bike absolutely screams even with my big fat body on it. Speaking of jets, what are the two jets for, is one the idle and the other one for when you really open it up,like a 4 barrel carb? Sorry for the noob questions. I pay other people to think for me when it comes to the hard stuff on the KLX.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I pay other people to think for me when it comes to the hard stuff on the KLX.
That's silly ... we do all that kind of thinking in our spare time... for free! That's why we all hang out around here!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

ORIGINAL: deej

I pay other people to think for me when it comes to the hard stuff on the KLX.
That's silly ... we do all that kind of thinking in our spare time... for free! That's why we all hang out around here!!!
You speak the truth

Old 12-22-2006, 01:56 AM

I notice big differences in my mpg depending on how I ride and where I ride. I gett worse npg on the interstate. Stock was around 70 after mods I got 75. The worse I have gotten is 58 ( these are all on road numbers ).

I run 14-40 gears.

I don't see how you guys can stand to run such low gears! I sure it great for off road but my 1st gear is plenty low for tight trials and hill climbs and I ride off road a lot and on road a lot as well.

Deej runs 13-45!!! That thing has got to max out at 65 mph with the engine screaming. Am I wrong?

Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stainlessTT

I notice big differences in my mpg depending on how I ride and where I ride. I gett worse npg on the interstate. Stock was around 70 after mods I got 75. The worse I have gotten is 58 ( these are all on road numbers ).

I run 14-40 gears.

I don't see how you guys can stand to run such low gears! I sure it great for off road but my 1st gear is plenty low for tight trials and hill climbs and I ride off road a lot and on road a lot as well.

Deej runs 13-45!!! That thing has got to max out at 65 mph with the engine screaming. Am I wrong?
Well to tell the truth I really don't like to go all that fast on the KLX anyway. The speed limit around here is either 55 or 50, and Since I am never in a hurry to get any where I always do less. 45 is just fine with me.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

He runs with airbox lid off and no quiet insert, so I'd say that's just about right. My dealer runs pretty much the same setup andhis dyno rich/lean reading at WOT is right onthe money.

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Hey guys

Been a little while since I've been on and I wanted to know what type of gas mileage everyone was getting After you did the mods.I did mine about 3 weeks ago. I'm running a BG Exhaust, Opened screened in airbox with a K&N Filter, 128 main and 40 pilot, N1TC needle sitting on slot 3. I'm also running a Iridum plug. I'm at Sea level and the Bike seems to run Real Good with no starting issues and no real backfires / pops on decel.

Anyway I filled the tank right after I did the mods. I was out riding around yesterday and hit reserve at about 58 miles. I'm thinking wow, thats a Big lose. from about 78 mpg Stock to 58 mpg with the mods. Seemsa littleexcessive to me. I have Not pulled the plug yet to look at it.

So my question is what type of gas milage are you guys getting After you did your mods. I knew with the mods I would lose some, But 20 Mpg, Thats a Lot. Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year and Be Safe..................

LV

Old 12-22-2006, 05:22 AM

I just checked my bone stock bike and I got 63 MPG, That is taking it easy because the bike is not broke in yet. I imagine I will get better when it hada few miles on it.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage After the Mods