Gas consuption for break in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Default Gas consuption for break in?

When I got my bike, the dealer had put a full tank of gas in it. Today when I took it out to ride it started, ran with the choke about 30 seconds, then stopped. I thought I had left the fuel to the off position, nope it was on. So I was going through the manual and could really see nothing related to the problem except "See if its outta gas". My bike has 58 miles on it so far, so I thought no way, it can't be the gas. I read on here that people were getting close to 100 miles on a full tank. Did i miss read this, perhaps I did. But so far my bike got 58 miles on 1 tank of gas, I put the fuel to reserve and it started immediatley, so I had to fill her up. I really, really need to get the 3.2 tank that BMWHD is working on. Again this may be just due to break in.
Also when I come to a stop and I put my bike in neutral (I know your not supposed to do that, but I'm practicing different things) Sometimes its impossible to put the bike in 1st again without rolling the bike forward some with your feet?? I mean theres just no way to put it into 1st when its like that, I tried standing up and putting way more pressure on the shifter then usual to put it down to 1st, but it wouldnt budge, and I didnt want to break it, so I rolled it forward a little, wala, It gets put into 1st with little pressure. Now this is in an empty parking lot that I was trying this in, I would hate this to happen out on a busy intersection[:@]. Is there something I can do about this? This sounds very dangerous to me, anyone else have this problem? Thanks again guys, you're teaching me alot, I'm glad I found this forum, I would be lost without it.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Gas consuption for break in?

To fix the first gear problem all you have to do is down shift to first gear before your bike stops rolling at a stop sign or light. This is not a problem with your bike, it is just the way all bikes are. Good luck with that.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:35 AM

Ok good,
thanks for the peace of mind, I understand that I am supposed to leave it in 1st gear when I come to a stop, no exception, but sometimes when I come to a stop and park it to take a break, its in neautral, then when I try to put it in to 1st I'm like "Oh no" thought something could have been messed up. Now someone fix my gas problem lol. Whats everyone else average MPG?? I have exactcly 58 and some change on mine. Maybe because it had to fill the reserve too on the 1st fill up, maybe this was it?

Old 03-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

The only time I shift to neutral while rolling is when I'm heading into the garage. Doing that in traffic is not a good idea, and can even be a really bad idea. The reason that you're shifter doesn't go into first while stopped, is the same reason that sometimes a manual transmission on a truck won't go in. Here is a little trick if you still want to go from a stopped position and can't get it into first gear. Simply let out the clutch once or twice and it will shift right into gear. Oh the gas situation: I have gotten 140 miles on a tank. I hit 75 miles once before it went to reserve. Not sure why some are not getting the same mileage, but it has to do with gearing, mods, and driving habits.

deej

Old 03-04-2006, 03:48 AM

Hmmm,
Well, I have not modded anything on the bike nor plan too, and I'm a noob, so I never take it past 5,000 RPMs, and usually I keep it below 4,000 RPMs per break in requirements. Maybe the dealer pulled my leg and didn't fill it up all the way[sm=smiley26.gif], so after I fill this one I will check again.
but sometimes when I come to a stop and park it to take a break, its in neautral, then when I try to put it in to 1st I'm like "Oh no" thought something could have been messed up
Oh and what I meant was that when I'm in the empty parking lot and I park the bike, put it in neutral, turn it off, and get off it to get some water. I wouldn't dare do it in traffic.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:30 AM

MY first thought is that there was not actually a full tank of gas in it from the dealer. My tank was only about 1/2 full.

Mileage definitely varies with how you operate the bike, temperature outside, and hte average speed your traveling at. I've been getting just under 50mpg. Not bad considering I'm avoiding any constant speeds, keep it over 3500 RPM, and get on it pretty hard whenever possible.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

We should see if we can get the admin of our forum to post the Mototuneusa breakin method as a sticky so that guys that are thinking about buying the 250S or really any bike can see that there are differences in breaking in a bike. I'm glad I was able to do my bike this way, but then there would have to be a disclaimer that it's still up to the owner to do what he thinks is best. In the Mototune method the break-in method is exactly how we did car and truck engines in the mid 70's. High rpm's then compression back down, and you had to do this when the engine was new, not after a hundred miles were on it, then it was too late to get the rings to fully seat. Makes sense to me, and I was glad I ran across the article before I rode the bike. Here's the site, scroll down to break-in secrets....good reading. Below is a picture of the differences between traditional and the mototune way. Just food for thought.

www.mototuneusa.com

deej

[IMG]local://upfiles/897/1538D521F503457F85C77651D5115751.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2006, 11:17 PM

I was wondering if the klx has a gas guage. I'm guessing not but was just wondering.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:43 AM

Well not technically, but when your riding down the road and it starts to sputter out, then you know all you have left is your reserve, and you better get some more gas QUICK!!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:14 AM

I went on a long ride today and filled up twice after about 55 miles. I averaged 61mpg. The riding was mostly backroads and gravel roads at 45-65mph, with about 10 miles on some trails at 10-30mph. I didn't take it easy either and made a point not to hold a constant speed (still breaking it in). I accelerated hard out of every corner on the gravel roads (trying to get her a little sideways..hehe [sm=burnout.gif] )

This also tells me that I might be running a little lean. As the temperature dorpped on my way home it might have been either surging, a little or the carbs were starting to freeze. OK for now, but it should be richer after I install the Muzzy pipe and bump up the jets. I'll probably play with the jetting to find a good compromise between economy and performance on the fuel/air ratio.