Gas in Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gas in Air Filter

My bike bogs down intermitedly and stalls. Once it starts doing it, it will continue to do it. I can restart the bike using the choke and then it idles normally, but will bog down as I ride it. Upon inspection, my air filter is soaked in gas and the drain out of the airbox is collecting gas as well. All of the lines and the crankcase breather hose are not connected to the air box. Just the carburator is. Is this normal and if no, is this my problem? Is it a float problem or something else?

Last edited by agirls; 06-08-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, after looking on line, it seems this is kind of a dumb question. It's not normal and the float valve and/or seat is the usual culprit. So clean the carb and replace the float valve. Install an inline fuel filter.

Does my symptoms (bogging down) sound like it is being caused by this or is something else wrong?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd check the float level alright, but make sure the float assy isn't leaking. There maybe some debris in there keeping the needle from seating correctly or the valve assembly maybe be worn out. I'd also inspect the float itself. It's more likely that there is just some crud in there keeping it from seating. Good luck

Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

First a word of caution, dont ride it any further... period... you know there's a problem, quit and fix while you're ahead and read why later.

This happened on my old bike, and yes, it's a pain ... however, you should check why you're overflow isn't working properly, because that working right should keep you from having this happen, even with petcock and float needle failure (I haven't been into this carb yet, but I'm assuming it has an overflow). That said, check the float level, float needle and seat as mentioned (ANY sign of wear and replace it/them)and make sure your overflow is working and unobstructed. clean everything up and put it back together. Open your petcock and watch to make sure that nothing flows out either the overflow OR the bell of the carb (toward the air box). After this thoroughly clean the air filter with a detergent and re-oil it, or just replace it.

As regards it running poorly, the reason it is choking up is most likely no more to do with the fuel in the air filter, as much as the fuel that is flowing through the carb body to get to that filter. Basically gas is literally pouring UP out of your carb, this will naturally (and VERY poorly) mix with the air coming in while it's running, ESPECIALLY when you get the RPM's up and some heavier suction going and this will of course mess up running conditions badly and inconsistently, much like you describe. Fix the overflow, clean the filter, fix the problem.

Why not to ride like this at all any further. Reason being that if per some sad chance your bike has been, or is at an angle at rest, with the gas flowing into the carb and down into the engine instead of out the airbox, and your intake valves are open at that time, the gas will thin out your oil, and possibly burn out a lot of things you dont want burned out, like your rings. Ask me how I know this after a trip to michigan with my bike strapped down tight in front.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you. Bike will not be ridden until the carb comes out. I thought it would have an overflow but the only carb I have rebuilt was a ysr50 sooooo I know nothing. Great. The bike has been stalling occasionally for a while. It only just starting bogging down and obviously it can't be ridden. I only rode it to limp me home (about a mile or two). I hope I don't have any damage you speak of.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought I would just rebuild the carb, but couldn't find any rebuild kits. Too new I guess. Then I went to bike bandit and the float valve alone is $32. Holy moly. Is the Kawasaki service manual the only one available?

Last edited by agirls; 06-09-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

your float is probably just stuck. you shouldn't need a rebuild kit just remove the bowl and check it out.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

+1 on the idea you probably dont need a whole rebuild. I would really try to isolate repairs to causes. I've fixed this issue twice with just a float needle, no seat or float or anything.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Cleaned the carb, jets, float, and adjusted the float height by checking the fuel level in the carb. I then road it on private property up and down hills for about 10 miles, and then it bogged/choked and died. I didn't see any gas in the airbox drain tube. I'm ready to push the bike down a mountain.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

What year is your bike? What modifications are done to it or is it all stock?

I agree with jacksonriding7 on the gas may be in the oil. You should do an oil change to make sure there is none in it and causing bigger problems. Your bike should be alot like mine with the carb sloping toward the engine and I would think the fuel would run toward it and away from the filter unless this thing is just gushing fuel.

Also you should take your plug out and look at it. If the bike is running that rich I'm sure it could use a cleaning or replacement. Do this after each time you make a carb adjustment the coloration should give you some idea of how the fuel mixture is. Light tan is optimal, dark brown to black is rich.

Last edited by slippery750; 06-13-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Gas in Air Filter