Garage day...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Garage day...

Well it took me 2hours to get here, shock off, forks off, handlebars off, swingarm off..

need a new chain guide..

Name:  klx007.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  155.1 KB
Name:  klx006.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  185.4 KB
Name:  klx005.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  90.6 KB
Name:  klx004.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  180.6 KB
Name:  klx003.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  179.8 KB
Name:  klx002.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  107.9 KB
Name:  klx001.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  124.2 KB
Name:  klx008.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  153.6 KB

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like fun! Are you having the shocks rebuilt? I'll be taking off my swingarm to grease the bearings and put a new rear tyre on next weekend hopefully!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea new springs all the way around, and having the forks serviced... i need the grease the steering stem bearings too.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Has anyone bought the chain slider thats the end of the swing arm by the front sprocket? Is the only option OEM?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Has anyone bought the chain slider thats the end of the swing arm by the front sprocket? Is the only option OEM?
Mine is starting to wear a bit so I may pick one up before spring hits.

The Kawi P/N is 12053-1328. Bike bandit wants $32 for the OEM.

http://www.hotfootmoto.com/www.hotfo...i_Sliders.html has some non OEM sliders that are a few bucks more, not sure of the quality but it might be nice to get it in Kawi Green

Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like my bike a few weeks ago.
I had the triple trees off too, and all my bearings looked good. They were clean and greased, but not as much as I used when I re-did it. I had heard quite a few stories of "dry" bearings coming from the factory with almost no grease. That wasn't the case on mine. I've had my bike in the basement all winter and I have really enjoyed going down turning the heater on, and working on it whenever I got some free time.
Every time I took something off I found more dirt. I had a bucket and a rag that I used to wipe stuff off as i uncovered it. I kept thinking Deej would love to take his bike apart just to get all the hidden dirt off. Where is that guy? Haven't noticed him posting lately.
Looks like you have good spot to work on yours there Eric. Looks like you caught some weather similar to us here. I think it broke 40 here today. I'm ready for more of that.
Have fun
Dan

Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Good stuff! I did my swingarm and steering stem bearings last year. Don't think I'll bother this year. Once every couple years should be good. Unless next year I see that I went too long.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Good to see you aren't the only one doing this EMS.
Did mine in Nov and (after buying it in Sept) got to say they all had grease, but it was obviously the first time they had been opened up. Looked good, re-greased, and have been riding hard the past five weeks as the weather has been abnormally sweet here.

Nice shop. Nothing beats a nice place to work. The wife let me bring mine in the house a few weeks ago. She's so understanding .

I like those flush-mount rear blinkers. Got to set some of those

Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

My reason started as taking the shock off and forks to put new springs in them, plus i got new bars cause i bent the old ones, so i figured i was that far might as well just do a little bit more and take care of the bearings, i did the swing arm bearings once already, havent done the steering yet, i think it needs it feels twitchy. I got the new spring on the shock. I gotta stop and get some grease. Oh plus the rear tire is flat. Dont know how that happened, it wasnt last time i was over in the garage.

Yea thats my dads garage, huge benefit of your dad being a mechanic and having like $50K in tools for you to use at your disposal.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

This was the first time I looked at my bearings in 2.5 years. Just laziness.
The right tools makes all the differnce in the world.
I like the flush mounts in back too. When the ones I have break, they will be replaced with the flush ones.
IDRIDR I never thought too much about having my bike in the basement, but last night at a friends house his father in law , a retired fire chief, told me of a guy that just burned down his house because he was working on his bike in the basement. I don't know if he made a mess with gas or what, but the fumes caught fire, and burned the house down. He said gasoline fumes are heavier than air so they fill the basement until they hit the water heater or furnace pilot..... boom. I dunno, mine has been fine in the basement all winter, I took the tank off and out to the garage this afternoon just to be safe.
Dan

Quick Reply: Garage day...