FYI on modifying the back rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default FYI on modifying the back rack

Well id figure id let you guys know that the back rack cant be welded to.... its some kind of alloy. Im trying to get my moose bag mounted up... had something in mind... but that got scratched with the new info of not being able to weld to the rack... sooo..... just giving you guys a heads up... unless you guys know something i dont... if you do speak up!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: FYI on modifying the back rack

hmmmm... remember my thread about the blinker tabs breaking? the welds were done to fix it with no problem.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

What do you need Eric? I can weld to it. If you are after something special, just send it to me and let me know what it is, and I'll do it!
foremost@wireless111.com

Old 02-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the offer.... im going to see what other idea i can come up with.... If i cant think of something else, ill take you up on that.

I took the rack off , and was going to have my friend weld a plate towards the front and another towards the back, and then weld a nut under the plate so i can put a bolt through the bottom of the bag and screw it into the welded on nut.... well my buddy says he cant weld or braze to the rack, he grinded off all the paint and stuff to get to bare metal and its still a no go.... wont hold... Time for plan B...... GRRRRR [:@]

Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

weird ems... like i said the mounting tabs were welded back onto mine no probs... maybe he isnt using the right type of welder/sticks? mine was done with a tig i think. note the "think".
not puttin ur buddy down, but u may want to try a "pro" shop.. im sure theirs a way to weld to it if its metal.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Well why not have him weld the nut to the plate and hold the plate to the rack with U-bolts? Sure its not as nice as a weld but it will serve the same purpose.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Eric, you might try an idea that I ended up using to hold my Pelican on. I saw it somewhere on a post here, and I know that the KLR guys use it a lot to hold stuff onto their racks.

Instead of welding the bars to the rack, you can just put them underneath the rack. I like your idea of welding the nuts to the bars, that would be better than what I have, which is just a hold in the bars with the bolt passing through to a nut. Anyway, with the bars under the rack, you can still pass the bolts through the bag, through the rack, through the bars to the nuts. That way, when you tighten everything up, you have the rack sandwiched between the bars and bag.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I cant fit anything under the rack really because of the acerbis tail light is tight agianst the undersid of the rack, so all this is going on the top of the rack.... My buddy just has mig welder, and he said tig might work, but i dont have FREE access to a tig welder.... We are thinking of welding the nut on the plate and just putting the plate in the corners of the rack, not the whole way across, and pop riviting the plates the the rack...

Wow guys, thanks for all the help and ideas....

Name:  xmas06005.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  xmas06010.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  42.0 KB

Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Any room on the sides of the light to run the bars front to back instead of side to side? Obviously they would have to be longer in order contact the rack since the rack bars run front to back, but it's another option. I don't know what rivets are made of, but if they are aluminum, I would be wary. Remember what the vibrations did to my aluminum clamps.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea that did come to mind chris.... there would be at least 4 rivets per bolt... Im still brain storming... I also thaught about front to back instead of side to side plates...... Ill come up with something.....

Another thing that comes to mind, i cut those turn signal tabs off... hopefully i dont have to put them back on..... cant weld to the damn thing.... lol... o well....

Quick Reply: FYI on modifying the back rack