Future klx owner question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
1st Gear Member

You only need to touch the ground if you stop!! Don't stop!!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I just put pictures of mine on the sticky picture thread above. Lowered 1.5 rear/1 front makes a big difference.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, and running 1.5" lowering links. I can almost flat foot both feet at the same time with my boots on (they probably have 1" thick heels).
I'm that size too, and have 1" link on my 07 with suspension set up pretty soft. No problems with the stock seat.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Pogi - you may know this already, but if not I'll throw it out. If you lower (or raise) one end of the bike, the bike's geometry changes and it can behave strangely, perhaps even dangerously. So make equivalent changes to the other end to maintain geometry. Lower the rear with the links and lower the front by raising up the forks in the clamps. They can only go up so far before hitting the handlebars. I suggest you study up on it. There's probably some great old threads around here from others (like those posting above) who've done the same thing. Re-set your preload after making adjustments. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everybody. I guess I'll shave the seat first. I'll post pics monday.I'll definitely get the kawi.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Pogi - you may know this already, but if not I'll throw it out. If you lower (or raise) one end of the bike, the bike's geometry changes and it can behave strangely, perhaps even dangerously. So make equivalent changes to the other end to maintain geometry. Lower the rear with the links and lower the front by raising up the forks in the clamps. They can only go up so far before hitting the handlebars. I suggest you study up on it. There's probably some great old threads around here from others (like those posting above) who've done the same thing. Re-set your preload after making adjustments. Let us know how it goes.
This is very true. I started out with 2" lowering links and the front forks pushed up as far as they would go, which is less than 0.5". The handling was so awful I quickly went back to stock. Then I had a crash and bent my handlebars, so I replaced them with big bars which required an adapter. That gave room to push the forks up 1.5", so I ordered 1.5" links and tried them. The handling felt very close to stock, but now I can touch the ground.

Also your weight plays into this. I'm a lightweight at 140 lbs, and the stock suspension was way too stiff for me. The lowering links softened it up to where it actually has a little sag when I sit on it, like it is supposed to...

Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I just want to add that I think you should give the stock set up a good try first. That's the way the bike was designed, and probably the way it will work best. Any dirt bike you sit on is going to feel tall, and I think the first reaction is to "fix" it. I would suggest taking some time and trying to adapt to the bike as it is. I'm 5'7" and have to tippy toe, or lean to one side at stoplights, but, off road, I wouldn't trade away the extra clearance.
Dan

Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally. My new bike. Love it. I think I'll wait a while and decide later if I need to shave the seat.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...g1297-2854.jpg

Last edited by Pogiboy; 03-06-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations! Looks nice! ................but it's too clean
Enjoy
Dan

Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
If that doesn't get far enough, maybe shave some foam off the seat.
There's foam in the seat? Really?

Quick Reply: Future klx owner question