Fuel Range

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fuel Range

What is the max miles (or kilometers) you'll put on your odometer before you know you HAVE to fill up with gas? I ran out of gas last night at 81 miles. I figured I'd at least get to 100 before needing gas. Luckily the reserve got me to a gas station but I was still rather surprised. When I filled up, it took 1.55 gallons. That's 52 MPG folks! What gives? I have just been commuting around town and exploring a few small trails. I hear everyone talking about getting 70+ MPG. Thank God for reserve.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I have gotten a little over 200km before the warning light twice. I have gotten it well under that more often due to riding low gears. I have never tried to do a proper full tank to empty yet, maybe in two weeks I can give that a try. I only wish the tank was twice as big!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

52mpg is terrible. I calculated just under 72mpg on my last tank. That was a mix of city and highway with a large portion in a 65mph zone.

Mike

Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

i get about 100 miles before i gas up. only hit the researve once. i'm getting about 65 to 68 miles to the gallon if there is no head wind!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

In stock form? I could go ~110 miles before I'd hit reserve. After jetting it only dropped by about 10 miles or so. With the new rubber and 47-tooth sprocket... I can go 95-100 before hitting reserve. This is of course ALL roads, no trails.

Monday I rode all gravel roads (about 70+ miles worth) plus highway, and I had to put it on reserve at 92.5 miles. Riding trails will kill it horribly, I doubt I get 50mpg when riding trails. Matter of fact, I recall riding ~33 miles of trail plus 40 miles of highway and running out on the way home.

All about throttle control. If you're running it FWO everywhere you go, gunning it when you take off, it REALLY goes down, especially post-rejet.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Mileage depends on a lot of factors.Terrain,tire pressure,how fast you ride,gearing,jetting,etc. If your riding wide open through deep sand uphill with a Terraflex at 8psi and 13 47 gearing using a 130 main jet you're going to get way less mileage than with a stock bike with 22psi in the tires in 6th gear at 5000rpm on a flat road no wind. Assuming your an average rider on basically a stock bike 52 mpg does seem a little low. Might check the following make sure the choke wasn't on, is your air filter really dirty, any gas leaking out the float bowl vent hose,breaks dragging,tire pressure really low? I have the free mods (122 main), mt-21's at 15psi,13 tooth CS and ride mostly hard packed mountain forest roads and I'm still getting about 65mpg. But I sure wish somebody would manufacture a larger tank for the 09's.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pseacraft
before the warning light!
WTF, how did you get a warning light?!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I always get 80 before hitting reserve. Are you talking about that you ran completely out or hit reserve?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh that was when you hit reserve.....hmmm with my 132 and 40 jets, 13-45 gears, I think 80 is doing good. I have checked my mileage several times, and am right at 60 mpg.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I hit reserve at 81 miles. It was on a very dark stretch of road and I had no flashlight. I couldn't get to the petcock before the bike ran out of gas and then I couldn't see the petcock to get it into reserve. Somehow I put it into reserve and back to "on." And the bike started (I guess I filled the carb up enough). I started down the road again and quickly ran out of gas again. I was a bit panicked since it was going to be a long dark walk. After I realized my mistake with the petcock I got it going again and made it to the gas station.

I generally let the bike warm up for about 15 mintes before riding it (it's pretty cold in Maine). Assuming I did this 5 or 6 times on this tank of gas, it could be that the reason for my poor mileage was the fact that it sat idling for over an hour's worth of "warm-ups." I hope that's it.

Oh yeah, where is this "warning light" you're talking about? I never saw one!

Quick Reply: Fuel Range