front wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default front wheel wobble

took the long way home today after work and ended up going through some real mucky mud. Man this bike was made for this stuff. About a mile from my house is the farm lands which have miles of nothing but dirt paths and mud bogs along the farming areas. I passed a few guys on tractors and I bet they thought I was nuts. Driving through the mud dressed in black slacks and button shirt. My wife didn't like all the mud on my pants much.

Anyhow, while on the road I noticed my front wheel wobbles quote a bit from left to right. It's definitely out of true. Is it difficult to true these wheels? I used to do my own back when I was heavy into cycling but I don't want to take a chance a screw up a wheel that can end up killing me on the road.

Do they make a trueing stand? I'm sure they do. Where can I find one?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

my bet would be go to a local bike shop, and see where they got theirs. and then you will need the spoke torque wrench also. a little pricey for me, so I just take them to the shop and they do it

Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Wheel Wobble...OH GEEZE

Lotsa talk on that one here.......I did notice after a good beating my front spokes loosened up....But my bike mechanic buddies said it was fine....Notta chance.......

Tighten up all the nuts and bolts especially around the forks.....A good beatin loosenz up the factory unused settings....

As for a truing slip......Boy Id want one and know how to use one......

Signed slightly loose front spokes for over 2k miles....

Rocco

Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you try an google m/c rim truing?

Off road dot com had an article by Rick Sieman that seemed to be for the dirt riding man, not being a rocket scientist I could comprehend it.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Kind of scary but I'm going to pick up a spoke wrench this afternoon and try it myself. I hope I don't end up with an egg shaped wheel.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Do the spokes every time you oil the chain. WD40 and half a turn back then half a turn forward. Job done. Used this method for years. Never had a seized spoke or a broken one, except for the time I put my foot through the front wheel at 20mph trying to remain in control after the foot peg fell off.(Broke 3 spokes and 2 toes.) I always use loctite and lock wire on all the essential bolts now.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Toes and spokes dont mix.

How often do you oil the chain? and what is recommended for oiling chains? Will motor oil 20w-50 work or is it best to use teflon type spray on stuff?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I use a wet lube as it's a dirt bike.(Silkolene.)

I do it about every 200 km or so. The most important part is to lube the chain after you ride, while it's still hot. This allows the lube to penetrate (great word) the links better. I hear that Teflon lube is great stuff. I haven't seen it down here though.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

It pays in the long run to always use a specific oil for the intended job. Motor oil is great for motors. I won't put in on my air filter or on my chain. There is plenty of choice for products specific to the intended application. Filter oil for filters.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

For years I used to use 90 grade gear oil on the chain.
I would take the chain off, drop it in a tin of gear oil, heat it on the stove, let it cool, and then wrap it in cloth until the next ride.
I did that every week.
But it's not a good method with O ring chains, plus I can't be ar#@d any more.
But I still lube it every ride.

Quick Reply: front wheel wobble