front wheel mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default front wheel mounting

I have 2007 KLX250s with about 8000 miles on ODO. I pulled and had wheels balanced, trued and bearings replaced. When I pulled the front wheel I had to use a breaker bar to get the axle to back out. When I took the wheels to the shop to be worked on I had all the axles washers, etc together. The shop let them get separated, and now there is some doubt if I got everything back. No pics taken (my bad).

when I reinstalled the front wheel, when the axle bottomed out in the left fork, the brake was binding. So I had to back it off about a turn to get the wheel to spin freely. I had assumed when I originally pulled it, that it was over torqued. there are no torque settings I can find for the axle, just the clamp nuts. Is there supposed to be spacer/bushing on the left side? I got the clamp nuts torqued to spec. Is this all ok? should I put lock-tite on the clamp nuts ? see photos. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rshawiii
I have 2007 KLX250s with about 8000 miles on ODO. I pulled and had wheels balanced, trued and bearings replaced. When I pulled the front wheel I had to use a breaker bar to get the axle to back out. When I took the wheels to the shop to be worked on I had all the axles washers, etc together. The shop let them get separated, and now there is some doubt if I got everything back. No pics taken (my bad).

when I reinstalled the front wheel, when the axle bottomed out in the left fork, the brake was binding. So I had to back it off about a turn to get the wheel to spin freely. I had assumed when I originally pulled it, that it was over torqued. there are no torque settings I can find for the axle, just the clamp nuts. Is there supposed to be spacer/bushing on the left side? I got the clamp nuts torqued to spec. Is this all ok? should I put lock-tite on the clamp nuts ? see photos. Thanks.
Missing spacer identified above^
Needing a breaker bar on the front axle is indicating it may have been over-tightened and/or there's a corrosion issue. That shouldn't be needed.

Do you have a shop manual?

Front axle nut spec is 65 ft-lb. The axle clamp bolts are 87 in-lb. I don't use lock tight on these.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 08-26-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks. got new one ordered. will take a week+. The shop that lost the part has a box other parts they lost and seems to think if they have the dimensions they could find the appropriate one and maybe overnight it to me. (bull****, but I gotta try). They have been sent the info that shows the part, but there are no dimensions. Any body got what the dimensions are?

pissed off in the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado with a bike I can't ride. Maybe the fish are biting.......LOL