Front wheel instal and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Someone mentioned about adjusting your forks. If you’re going to do that, here’s a great write up on how to do it properly. Works great.

brucessuspension.net

i couldn’t get a direct link to the page. Open the sidebar and click “Adjusting Suspension”. It starts the fourth paragraph down.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Usually/sometimes after a crash the forks get tweeked and the front wheel gets misaligned. Then I use a solid object to persuade the wheel back into line with the forks.
In the garage I loosen all the triple clamp pinch bolts and the forks lower axle clamps. Sit on the bike n give it a visual check then tighten everything down starting with the lower triple clamp bolts. Unless somethings bent the alignment is usually good to go.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:30 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
First I was going to say check and make sure you put the spacers on the correct side but then I finished reading your post.
If your sure the spacers are in the right spot and your fender is cocked to one side your forks could be out of alignment. (But I don't think that's the problem)
Loosen the fork bolts (don't undo them, just loosen) and realign the wheel, I usually put the wheel between my knees and grab the bars to make adjustments.

If the problem is mounting the wheel, it does take some doing to get the spacers in there and lined up. The spacers are side specific.
Once you have the axle in and the axle nut on and tight, snug the pinch bolt farthest from the nut.
Now, get on the bike and push down on the forks a few times to make sure nothing is binding, then tighten the rest of the pinch bolts.
Remember, they are pinch bolts not cinch bolts. Don't gorilla them.
Yeah, I had asked about the difference between an '06 like mine and the '09 and later models. Your method didn't sound right, but I finally found a diagram for the '06/'07 and later models. They are quite different, as the axle actually threads into the chain drive side fork leg with the oil filter side having a 4-bolt face plate that pinches the axle. Your method makes sense as it applies to the '09 and later models.