Front sprocket will not budge when trying to remove it. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Jhoffy, do not use heat!!!!!
REPEAT,,,, DO NOT USE HEAT!!!!
READ THE THREAD ALREADY POSTED ON THIS AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
By the way,did you get your motor back together? we havent heard from you in a while.
Did it all work out for you?
If you heat the sprocket you will heat the countershaft, you do not want to heat the countershaft for 2 reasons, first being that you will change the temper of the steel and make it weak, and secondly you will most likely damage the seal behind it nad have to change it or leak oil out of the tranny.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

You can totally use heat, just don't get carried away. Use a propane bottle type and apply the heat to the nut. The nut will expand away from the shaft and be easier to remove. You would have to heat the sh1te out of if to affect the temper.....Oh wait this is JHoffy we are talking about...DO NOT USE HEAT....REPEAT...DO NOT USE HEAT... Just kidding JHoffy , hope you can get your cs nut off without any issue.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
By the way,did you get your motor back together? we havent heard from you in a while.
If you heat the sprocket you will heat the countershaft, you do not want to heat the countershaft for 2 reasons, first being that you will change the temper of the steel and make it weak, and secondly you will most likely damage the seal behind it nad have to change it or leak oil out of the tranny.
The bike is mechanically fine now. Just got everything done this weekend. Fresh bottom end rebuild and top end rebuild including new cylinder sleeve (first custom 351 sleeve not made by Bill Blue). This one has a different design and a higher nickel content. I believe it also has a different lining then the 351 sleeves from Bill Blue. The bike sounds differently now too - unless it's just me. One thing that I still notice is that my header pipe gets excessively hot, although I am only making this observation based on letting it idle for 10 minutes or so. I have the largest dynojet main jet(132) so that could be why. Still with the stock 35 pilot however. I haven't been able to ride it yet because I'm still trying to get this chain and sprocket situation taken care of.

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
You can totally use heat, just don't get carried away. Use a propane bottle type and apply the heat to the nut. The nut will expand away from the shaft and be easier to remove. You would have to heat the sh1te out of if to affect the temper.....Oh wait this is JHoffy we are talking about...DO NOT USE HEAT....REPEAT...DO NOT USE HEAT... Just kidding JHoffy , hope you can get your cs nut off without any issue.
I hope so as well. My local dealership offered to do it for free for me but I don't really want to wait until after Sunday.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also thanks for the advice. I just found that thread as well so it will be a big help. Great time to find it.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

You are a good sport JHoffy, glad to hear you got the motor back together and running.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
You are a good sport JHoffy, glad to hear you got the motor back together and running.
Now you need to get some riding in. How long has it been?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
Now you need to get some riding in. How long has it been?
Long enough for the seasons to change twice

Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Long enough for the seasons to change twice
I know the feeling. I remember back in 1995 when I blew the piston on my 1985 CR 125 it took me almost 2 months to get my bike back up and running do to not having a job. When I did get it running I left 1 week later for basic training in the Air Force. It sucks when your bike is down for what ever the reason may be. Most of us have been there at one time or another.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

On using heat on the nut, wouldn't there be a concern of damaging or hardening the countershaft oil seal that's just a few mm away? I've never tried it, so I'm just speculating. I've never had one that wouldn't come off with my air impact wrench.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had to heat the cs nut on two bikes. The sprocket absorbs/deflects the direct flame, and I only directed any flame to the nut. Heated it briefly let it sit a minute and it turned off much easier. The o-rings on the chain sustained no damage so I am guessing the seal behind the sprocket was just fine. After heating I was able to spin them off with a crappy Chinese 24v cordless impact.