Front Sprocket and Master Link Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Front Sprocket and Master Link Question

Hey folks!

I picked up a 13t and was putting it on tonight and I have a few questions.

1) The 13t front sprocket that I was going to use, didn't have the collar. I'm not concerned about the rubber shoulder, as that is for noise and wear, so I am not talking about *that* collar. If you look at the stock sprocket, there is a raised lip/collar that is slightly higher than the sprocket itself.

My replacementfit on the shaft just fine, but it was closerto the counter shaft sealand didn't have the same chain line as the stocker. Istopped putting my 13t on because without the collar the chain line will be off. I put the stocksprocket back on. I have seen many posts about sprockets that work, but do they also have the collar? Should I even worry about chain line? What is the best 13t out there for the KLX?

2)The KLX250 comes with a master link. Is there an easy technique to take the master link off, open the link and reverse the procedure? Good thing I had a spare clip. Is there a tool to make it easy?

Thanks.

Lauren.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front Sprocket and Master Link Question

Yes you need a collar.

Pair of needle nose works for me. Push clip off posts with it. Insert in link & spread apart to remove plate. Pinch plates back together with it when reassembling.

But yes there is a tool to separate the plates & draw them back together if that isnt working for you.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, you need the collar/spacer. It's designed to keep the chain and sprocket away from the seal, and proper alignment. There are many sprockets that fit correctly. MotionPro makes a great link tool for $14... and my stock chain was continuous, no master.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool...

I see that there are some special pliers out there that are designed for the master link clip.

As for the front sprocket....anyone have a part number for the sprocketthey have used personally?

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

You sure about that? Buy the bike used? Mine certainly has a master, Lorenshas the master& do not see why any would be different.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

JTF516.13...JT sprokets
JTR 460.45(tooth)

Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

You sure about that? Buy the bike used? Mine certainly has a master, Lorenshas the master& do not see why any would be different.
You talkin' to me?... My KLR's and KLX had continuous chains. Both bought new. I prefer a master.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

You guys rock..thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

HI to everyone that writes/reads and laughs on these threads. I have just brought myslef a 07 klx 250 H7f, I have many threads on these pages and thanks to everyone sharing important information. So I have a box full of bits ready to go on but I have question on the front sprocket. I read on one thread that a Honda XLR650 front sprocket would work, I have put it but found that the chain rubs on the casing.... anyone used this sproket yet..? or is there a simple solution..?

thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LaurenOE

You guys rock..thanks!

Lauren, your avitar looks like 'Erin E-surance' with a bike. [sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif]

Quick Reply: Front Sprocket and Master Link Question