Front end dive on hard braking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Front end dive on hard braking.

I've fiddled with my stock front and rear suspension and gotten things stffened up a bit. The rear is OK until I get a new spring.

I've got the front about as tight as it can get then backed off a couple of turns but it dives pretty harshly under hard braking.

Any recommendations on new fork springs or changing fork oil or both?

While I've got them torn down is there anything else that should be beefed up?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork springs

www.moto-pro.com Thats were I got mind. Wish I'd gone stiffer. Never liked using the front brakes the way you should until I upgraded. Well worth it.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the springs, I have a lot less dive under braking now, going to put in heavier oil to slow down the compression. I only wish there was a way to control rebound like on the rear shock.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Stiffer front springs are a must with most of the KLX's. Most guys are using either .44kg or .46kg springs with either 7wt. fork oil or 10wt. fork oil.

Ride

Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

It is best to 'set' your brake before the hard pull, this will aleviate front end dive.
Just put slight pressure on lever to put pads to disc then you can squeeze as required!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually the front end dive was the biggest surprise when I started riding the KLX.

I'm used to it now and I do compensate for it when riding but in the case of a THINK FAST emergency I want to know what my front end is going to do.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I hate to ask, doesn't really say in the manual, but which way do you turn the adjustment screws in the bottom of the forks to stiffen them, I'm guessing clockwise?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I turned mine "IN" clockwise until they seated then backed them off 2 clicks. It stiffened the forks some but not enough. Thicker oil would help but I think new springs are in my future.

I did the same with the rear shock but never could find any recoil adjustement screw.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. Do you have to back them out 2 clicks and how many clicks till they bottomed out?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think they HAVE TO be backed out 2 clicks, I just did it because I was concerned about restricting the flow too much and blowing a seal. If I knew it was safe to crank them in all the way I would if it stiffened up the front end any.

I think it's expecting too much to simply adjust the valves and expect a big improvement. The suspension is a system and is probably only as tough as it's weakest link. I'll probably wait until I really NEED fork repairs done and tackle the whole system while I'm into it.

Until then, ride on!!

Quick Reply: Front end dive on hard braking.