Front Brake Pad Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front Brake Pad Questions

I did OK with my front pads. I think I had a bit more than 10,000 miles on them when I switched to an aftermarket system. The front pads still had a couple of grandleft, but I'm not super hard on the brakes to begin with.Tend touse the rear a lot when I'm inthe fun stuff (tight, twisty motardfriendly roads).

With my new wave rotors, I'll be watching the pads much more closely.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! Anyone recommend any brand? OEM, EBC? What's a good site to order from? I went on Ron Ayers and he didn't have any pads for DP bikes.

Deej, how are your pads? I'm surprised you never peeked over during your weekly polish ofyour wheel spokes.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

LOL..........I'll be right back, I'm going to walk down to the warehouse and take a look. BRB

Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

OK I took a look and they are both about the same, looks to be slightly more than 1/8 of an inch on both sets. Considering what a new set of pads look like, I would say that for 7,000 miles that's not too bad. Anyone got a brand new bike to compare what they looked like new?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

Thanks guys! Anyone recommend any brand? OEM, EBC? What's a good site to order from? I went on Ron Ayers and he didn't have any pads for DP bikes.

Deej, how are your pads? I'm surprised you never peeked over during your weekly polish ofyour wheel spokes.
I always have had good luck with ebc. Dennis kirk has them depending on what type of pad you want for 28 to 36 dollars.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't understand using the engine to slow down. I know everyone does it but it seems like brakes are cheap compared to engines, When you use the engine to slow down, You really rev the engine. In fact, many blown engines are a result of downshifts. I'd rather put brakes on every few 1000 miles and save my engine for accleration NOT Deceleration.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I don't understand using the engine to slow down. I know everyone does it but it seems like brakes are cheap compared to engines, When you use the engine to slow down, You really rev the engine. In fact, many blown engines are a result of downshifts. I'd rather put brakes on every few 1000 miles and save my engine for accleration NOT Deceleration.
You sure seem to have a flare for the dramatic.

There is such a thing as slowing down in advance and using your brakes and engine braking in concert with one another. Engine and wheel braking aren't mutually exclusive, ya know? Pick your downshift points. You don't have to go through the gears lickety split or jump two gears and make the engine sound like it's coming apart. Moderation is key here.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

+1

Besides, you will likely be on your can before you "blow" on engine.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea I should have clarified that a little, getting set up for a corner and being in the right gear is why I use the engine. On the trail sometimes all you want is compression, and not brakes. Its all a combination of all three here and there. It comes naturally.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

You sure seem to have a flare for the dramatic.

There is such a thing as slowing down in advance and using your brakes and engine braking in concert with one another. Engine and wheel braking aren't mutually exclusive, ya know? Pick your downshift points. You don't have to go through the gears lickety split or jump two gears and make the engine sound like it's coming apart. Moderation is key here.
You're right. I know I could have more fun when I ride by engine braking through turns. I'm just borderline OCD about babying my engine. But I agree proper riding has some engine braking involved.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Pad Questions