Front Brake Pad Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Front Brake Pad Questions

I have 6800 miles on my '06 and the front pads are very low. Is it normal for the front pads to wear so quickly? I have 22K mile on my BMW and the pads are still good.

A couple of questions for you guys....

How many miles are you guys getting out of the front and the rear pads?

And most importantly which brand do you recommend?

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front Brake Pad Questions

Hey Man, I don't have any answers to your questions, but I am glad you brought it up. Mine is the 06 and I have 7000 miles on it as well. A couple of reasons that our brakes might be wearing a lot faster than say a big road bike is that one, the pads are a lot smaller than a lot of bikes, but mainly because when we ride off road or at least I do, I use the front as much or even more than the back, and generally any bike that is doing off road stuff is going to go through brakes twice as fast. I mean think about it, on a road bike I bet on average compared to the trails, you are using your brakes 1/10 as much. I use my front brakea lot, you know long downhills and tight cornering. That's not to say I don't use the compression from the motor, but I'm just saying. I guess I should take a look at mine to see where they are. Thanks for the reminder, and I will be watching this post for more information.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey FM where you been for the last two months?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej knows hius stuff, my bike has 4,600 miles and is in need of a new set of front brake pads as well.
These brakes are tiny and most of us probably use and abuse them to boot.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey Man, I don't have any answers to your questions, but I am glad you brought it up. Mine is the 06 and I have 7000 miles on it as well. A couple of reasons that our brakes might be wearing a lot faster than say a big road bike is that one, the pads are a lot smaller than a lot of bikes, but mainly because when we ride off road or at least I do, I use the front as much or even more than the back, and generally any bike that is doing off road stuff is going to go through brakes twice as fast. I mean think about it, on a road bike I bet on average compared to the trails, you are using your brakes 1/10 as much. I use my front brake a lot, you know long downhills and tight cornering. That's not to say I don't use the compression from the motor, but I'm just saying. I guess I should take a look at mine to see where they are. Thanks for the reminder, and I will be watching this post for more information.
I don't get to off-road anywhere as much as I would like. The trail park is 50 miles away from my house and it is only open from May to October. Yeah I agree with you as the rear pad is still got a lot of meat left on it, lol.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I got a little tired of the BS if you know what I mean. It's a shame really, because 99% of the guys that post here are great bunch of guys.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Id say its normal for a bike with brakes like the KLX has (weak).

Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

I got a little tired of the BS if you know what I mean. It's a shame really, because 99% of the guys that post here are great bunch of guys.
Yes I know what you mean, its good to see you again.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, only 4,xxx miles and the fronts are about 75% done. The rear can probably go past 10k miles. When its time, I will be picking up a set of EBC brakes.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Just shy of 8000 and I'm looking at replacing mine when I pull the studded tires off in a few weeks....provided the snow is gone

Quick Reply: Front Brake Pad Questions