Front Brake Lever Adj.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Front Brake Lever Adj.

I'm back from CO/CA trip and went out for a ST tuneup in preparation for the upcoming Howl'in DS in AZ. Did not go down, got to like that!

My front brake lever somehow has lost most of it's "play". I prefer to have a 1" freeplay to squeeze down before the brake starts stopping, I now have about 1/4".

Options:
1 bleed @ master cylinder
2 bleed @ disk
3 ?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I have opposite problem, my brake is ultimate squish. I wonder what causes brake play change?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I'm back from CO/CA trip and went out for a ST tuneup in preparation for the upcoming Howl'in DS in AZ. Did not go down, got to like that!

My front brake lever somehow has lost most of it's "play". I prefer to have a 1" freeplay to squeeze down before the brake starts stopping, I now have about 1/4".

Options:
1 bleed @ master cylinder
2 bleed @ disk
3 ?
Darrel, your KLX is paying you back for the neglect while you were using your BMW.

Our systems are traditionally bled at the brake caliper...pump fluid from the master cylinder to the caliper, just like a car...making sure to keep the fluid level from sucking air in the master if it gets too low. Are you sure your lever reach adjustment nut and bolt just hasn't developed a loose nut and let the bolt turn in on its own? The things that usually cause a brake lever to "tighten up" on its own can be due to previously trapped air working its way to the top of the master cylinder or something has gotten between the rotor and brake pads.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Darrel, your KLX is paying you back for the neglect while you were using your BMW.

Our systems are traditionally bled at the brake caliper...pump fluid from the master cylinder to the caliper, just like a car...making sure to keep the fluid level from sucking air in the master if it gets too low. Are you sure your lever reach adjustment nut and bolt just hasn't developed a loose nut and let the bolt turn in on its own? The things that usually cause a brake lever to "tighten up" on its own can be due to previously trapped air working its way to the top of the master cylinder or something has gotten between the rotor and brake pads.
Wheres this adjustment screw everyone has been mentioning?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Wheres this adjustment screw everyone has been mentioning?
On the lever, at the base of the lever, on the rider side, there is a little screw & nut. I believe that is it.
Mine did not loosen, but I will be loosening it up a little.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

it this only for the pre 07' models? I have a tiny screw underneath but it seems to hold the wires in place with a bracket.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I just adj mine, it is a 07. I am good to go.

I don't know about bleeding the calipar, I think it will just repump up.

If yours collapses into the grip, you need to bleed your brakes or replace the pads. Might as well change the fluid while your at it.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah i bled them with a full bottle and my pads are still good, idk im going to go steel brake line. I like my brake super stiff. Glad you got yours sorted out

Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Well if they are squishy, you got a bad line or air in them. On a dirt bike, steel lines are overkill.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I run supermoto

Quick Reply: Front Brake Lever Adj.