Freshly installed Dyno kit...bike is running bad now.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Freshly installed Dyno kit...bike is running bad now.

Just finished installing the dyno kit and was very sad about the results.

-Pulled the airbox lid off and installed a fresh Uni air filter. Carved out the backfire screen as well. Left the airbox lid off.

-Installed the Dyno needle that comes with the kit and put it on groove #4 from the top and drilled the slider hole and used the two washers that came with the Dyno kit

-Installed the #132 main jet

-I have an HMF slip on exhaust.

Took it for a short ride and noticed a few things. There is a deep sounding noise now where it almost sounds like the engine is bogging down. The bike feels like it lost power. It was night when I rode it and the header pipe where the exhaust comes out of the engine was glowing red after just a short ride. I had the instrument panel unplugged because I was installing a Vapor so I'm not sure if it was overheating or not. Is that normal? The fans never kicked on.

Anyways, not sure what's going on. Bikes running like crap. I still have to install the 351 kit this weekend as well.

Any ideas why it's running so crappily?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:46 AM
1st Gear Member

???Air leak. Check your work.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
???Air leak. Check your work.
I'll take a look at it in the morning. Maybe I need to adjust the needle and move the clip? I hope the #132 main jet is right for me. I think that's the highest I've seen anyone run with the Dynojet kit. I was pretty precise with my work however. I'm not sure where there would be an air leak. Do you mean within the carburetor?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member

The Dynojet 2206 kit comes with washers?

I thought you were supposed to use the 3rd clip down on the needle rather than the 4th.

Did you put a #38 pilot in?

I thought with stock bore and the other changes you've made you should be using the #128 dynojet main jet.

I suspect that with the larger main jet and the needle on the 4th slot you have a ton of fuel being pulled through the system, not being burned in the combustion cycle, and subsequently burning in the exhaust.

Follow the dynojet instructions as they will be much better than you guessing what you should do. At sea level their instructions should be good.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I used #128, 3rd clip, and air lid on without the snorkel.
But def check for leakage..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds too rich. The red pipe is the give away. Too much fuel and the air injection or aspirator will burn the fuel in the exhaust causing the pipe to turn red.

David

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

way too rich on 250. 128 and third clip seems to be the ticket for the 250.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
way too rich on 250. 128 and third clip seems to be the ticket for the 250.
Hmmm, wonder if it's okay for the 350 then.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I think you'll be surprised by how little if any you have to rejet for the 351 from a fully uncorked 250. I have a full Muzzy exhaust, all airbox mods like yours, and a DJ kit. On the 250 I was at 3rd clip from the top on the needle, 128 main, and the OEM 35 pilot jet. After installing a 300 cylinder, the jetting remained identical. I think some others have found little jetting mods required after the 351 compared to their previously uncorked 250. I think you're way too rich.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

1+ on what TNC said, there were instructions that came with the Dynojet kit or you can find them on there web site. It is a good idea on this and any other install to follow them.

Quick Reply: Freshly installed Dyno kit...bike is running bad now.