Fork Spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork Spring replacement

I went to my friend's house today to help him install some new Pella windows and we breezed through that so I decided to knock out some motorcycle maintenance tasks .

First thing we did was install some .46kg/mm fork springs on my KLX. I perused the how-to that No-Brakes wrote up and I followed it with a few differences.

I did the swap with both forks still on the bike. I just put the bike on my Goodyear bike stand (sears version below)
and used my tie-downs to secure the bike very tightly to the stand.

I differed from No Brakes' method in that I just removed the handlebars in order to gain access to the 30mm caps. This let me work on both sides at once.

Where he says to compress the forks after loosening the caps all the way, in order to expose the springs and the lock nut on the shaft, I used an old scissor-jack from my Ford Focus to jack up the front tire to expose both fork sides at the same time.

I used the 17mm open end wrench to hold the nut while I removed the fork caps and the spring stay washer/guide.

I placed a 15mm open end wrench underneath the 17mm nut to hold the shaft up so I wouldn't have to use the magnetic telescoping rod to fish it out later.

It went pretty smoothly with only one minor issue. The .46mm/kg springs were so thick that it was a bit of a tight fit getting them installed over the plastic pieces.

Putting it back together went smoothly after I figured out how to get the heavier springs installed.

The difference in fork action is HUGE. The stock springs allowed the bike to dive far too much under any sort of front-end braking. Even rolling off the throttle caused too much fork dive, in my opinion.

Now, it's still got smooth action through the stroke, but it dives FAR LESS and the bike can actually take a jump without bottoming out. I would estimate that the brake dive is at least 95% less. It feels far more stable and steady on the street.

After that, we swapped out my friend's worn out Cheng Shin(lol) front tire for a new Pirelli MT-21 on his XT225 Serrow and repacked his front wheel bearings. If I can convince him to part with some money for springs, I'd like to help him replace his fork springs. He has 6 kids though so I may end up just buying him a set for Xmas

My next project is replacing the rear shock spring on my KLX and possibly replacing the stock tires with Kenda Track Master II out back and a Pirelli Scorpion up front.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mandark
I went to my friend's house today to help him install some new Pella windows and we breezed through that so I decided to knock out some motorcycle maintenance tasks .

First thing we did was install some .46kg/mm fork springs on my KLX. I perused the how-to that No-Brakes wrote up and I followed it with a few differences.

I did the swap with both forks still on the bike. I just put the bike on my Goodyear bike stand (sears version below)
and used my tie-downs to secure the bike very tightly to the stand.

I differed from No Brakes' method in that I just removed the handlebars in order to gain access to the 30mm caps. This let me work on both sides at once.

Where he says to compress the forks after loosening the caps all the way, in order to expose the springs and the lock nut on the shaft, I used an old scissor-jack from my Ford Focus to jack up the front tire to expose both fork sides at the same time.

I used the 17mm open end wrench to hold the nut while I removed the fork caps and the spring stay washer/guide.

I placed a 15mm open end wrench underneath the 17mm nut to hold the shaft up so I wouldn't have to use the magnetic telescoping rod to fish it out later.

It went pretty smoothly with only one minor issue. The .46mm/kg springs were so thick that it was a bit of a tight fit getting them installed over the plastic pieces.

Putting it back together went smoothly after I figured out how to get the heavier springs installed.

The difference in fork action is HUGE. The stock springs allowed the bike to dive far too much under any sort of front-end braking. Even rolling off the throttle caused too much fork dive, in my opinion.

Now, it's still got smooth action through the stroke, but it dives FAR LESS and the bike can actually take a jump without bottoming out. I would estimate that the brake dive is at least 95% less. It feels far more stable and steady on the street.

After that, we swapped out my friend's worn out Cheng Shin(lol) front tire for a new Pirelli MT-21 on his XT225 Serrow and repacked his front wheel bearings. If I can convince him to part with some money for springs, I'd like to help him replace his fork springs. He has 6 kids though so I may end up just buying him a set for Xmas

My next project is replacing the rear shock spring on my KLX and possibly replacing the stock tires with Kenda Track Master II out back and a Pirelli Scorpion up front.
How are you dealing with the power loss? Remember how the bike used to rock back off of those weak stock springs when you accelerated?

Yeah, I really like what firmer fork springs did for my bike. .46? You must be a big boy!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I to have the .46's I'm buck 80 in gear, thats what he told me for my riding.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
I to have the .46's I'm buck 80 in gear, thats what he told me for my riding.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about people who spend most of their time Airborne My bad.

I went with .44 for motard use at a buck 50 soaking wet. For hardcore racing, I could have went firmer, but .44 is great for my mixed bag of tricks.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Buck 50? Whats your address I've got to send you some homeland food to fatten you up!
Krispy kreme and some coney dogs will get you up there.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Buck 50? Whats your address I've got to send you some homeland food to fatten you up!
Krispy kreme and some coney dogs will get you up there.
Haha! I can stuff my face all day and not gain a pound. It's both a blessing and a curse at times. Somebody brought me some Krispy Kremes from Tokyo the other day. Pretty good stuff, even though the Japanese probably don't make them as rich. Never tried the stateside version.

We keep a coffee mess at work that is stocked with all kinds of stateside junk food from the commissary on base. I pig-out on it all the time and my weight never changes.

Last edited by tremor38; 11-16-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

A buck 50.....post address, will send good and tasty Southern Cracker food.

Got any pics of your work?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Haha! I can stuff my face all day and not gain a pound. It's both a blessing and a curse at times. Somebody brought me some Krispy Kremes from Tokyo the other day. Pretty good stuff, even though the Japanese probably don't make them as rich. Never tried the stateside version.

We keep a coffee mess at work that is stocked with all kinds of stateside junk food from the commissary on base. I pig-out on it all the time and my weight never changes.
I miss the asparagus cookies and the yakisoba

Old 11-16-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the .46's too and I go 2 bills+ with all my gear on. The guy(forget his name) told me to leave the rear alone. I ride mostly single track with not much air so that could be why he told me that. After the whoopfest I went thru last weekend I was thinking of getting a stiffer rear. What size spring did they recommend for you?

Old 11-16-2008, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

When I was in okinawa I lived on yakisoba for 6 months. I love that stuff.

Quick Reply: Fork Spring replacement