Fork Savers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Fork Savers?

Are those a gimmick?

I mean, when the fork is compressed, the pressure is on the spring, but there should be no pressure on the seals themselves, is that correct? There will be pressure while the compression is happening and the oil moves from one chamber to another through the valving which limits the flow and puts pressure on the seals, but after the fork is compressed, there's no more seal pressure than normal. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fork Savers?

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_86667/tm.htm

I WAS LEARNING ABOUT THAT TOO.....

i was thinking about getting those seal savers they put on the klx on dirtbike tv.... they were moose racing brand....

Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks - I hadn't seen that thread, I was just curious having transported my bike recently and was thinking about it.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't believe there is anything to worry about using tie-downs...
The comments in that other thread were made by King Cold himself, who is also selling the wheel docks, so...

This just doesn't make any logical sense to me:
When you put your bike in the back of a truck (or on a trailer) you have to keep the front suspension loaded (by the straps) to keep the front end from bouncing around as you drive down the road. The rebound of the suspension will literally make the bike hop upwards after you hit a bump in the road. The bike is still behaving as if there is a rider on the back, although there isn't. The straps keeps the front end of the bike down, but the upward force of the rebound has to go somewhere.

Basically, in order to spare you all a bunch of physics, the force of the rebound will go to the weakest part of the suspension which is the fork seal. Under normal riding they are fine, but when in transport (without the WheelDock) all the pressure will build up and the fork seal being the weakest part of the equation- that's what will blow because the rebound is being stopped by the straps- but there is still upward force. This can damage them thus requiring replacement and money out of your pcoket.
The bouncing down the road / upward motion / stress on the fork seals argument just doesn't hold water.
What does happen though, is a positive air pressure gets built up inside the fork while it's compressed. I don't think this will blow your seals any faster than your average riding will (i.e. bottoming your suspension on jumps).

Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

hey thats a good idea !!! might have to try that...
ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I use to put a 2x4 piece between the front tire and the underside of the front fender when I use to race and hauled my bike in a truck. This keeps the forks uncompressed and enables the front to stay rigid so you can tie the bike down using tiedowns. It also saves seals, because after so long compressed it takes a toll on springs/seals.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about the whole deal on the tieing down is hard on the fork seals. I know that is what I've always heard but don't quite understand the reasoning.

The seal savers are nothing more that strechy socks that wipe the dirt off of the shock piston before it gets to the seal. So the way that it saves the seal is by keeping the dirt away.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yes i know what the seal savers do... i was just saying i was gonna get some... kinda on the same subject but different area... thanks

Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been using a 4X4 (cut to about an inch less then full travel) for about 25 years now on different dirt bikes... seems to work great and the price has always been right...

Dave

Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I was at the motocross track on Sunday and the kid I watch race had the seal savers on his bike, they are really cool, kind of like a neoprene wrap that go on before the forks are put back together. But his dad did say they make some wrap around ones, I'm gonna look into it. You know me always looking for a way to keep dirt from getting in somewhere. I also think I'm gonna get the rear shock cover like Tony has on his bike, he learned the hard way one time on a bike after riding in really muddy conditions. The suspension front or back can get really expensive to replace or repair.